American Bicycle Manufacturer 'American'

trebortheklaf
trebortheklaf Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Hi, I have just joined to find out a bit more about my old steed, it's an ABM 'American', brought as a frameset in the mid 90's from an independent UK bike shop in Bury St Edmonds call Sugar City cycles. Very rare in the UK, think it is one of a very small handful brought over, nt sure how many still exist over here, not many I should think. They don't seem to exist any more, I built this up with mainly campagnolo gear, on XT hubs with Mavic concave rims. Raced it around the UK in my teens. A few years in it got some interesting helico rear cantilever brakes by suntour which are really powerful, and a little later still I converted it to an ahead set with a pair of Pace RC 30 carbon fibre stanctioned suspension forks. Tiny travel at I think around 80mm, and elastomers are a bit shot now, but beautiful and very stiff. I hate to admit it, but it's too nice to use as a city run around, but not really good enough to ride road miles on anymore. Wondering if anyone thinks these are valuable and worth selling on, maybe to someone with a passion for vintage bikes? I'm riding again and fancy investing in something of from this decade! If anyone is interested I'll make an effort to photograph it, beautiful welding.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ABM never had a model called the "American" but they did make the American Breezers

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/American.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whether it has value, try Retrobike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    nick,

halfway down the page they mention the 'american',
    FCN 12
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The American frame sold for about $605 and used 17" stays with angles of 71/72. The American frame was intended to sell for a lower price than the other models, and was offered for this price only with a "brushed" finish. There was no other finishing done to the frame and if it got dirty enough that it would not hose off well, users were instructed to brush it with a Scotch Brite pad.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.