Road shoes

garethshort
garethshort Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Im new to the road bike scene but have now bought my bike and have started using it for about 2-3 hours per day (on my turbo trainer).

No im used to it (used to be a MTB'er) im now looking at buying some road shoes and wanted to ask for your opinions on a couple of pairs. Im looking at riding from Cardiff to Paris in September and wanted to buy a pair of shoes that would work for that ride. I was looking at buying a pair now and then the identical pair a couple of weeks leading up to the ride so they are newer. As im still a newbie i was wondering if any one could advise out of these pairs please? Im sorry to be a pain to ask questions.

Shimano R088 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r088-spd-sl-road-shoes/
Specialized Elite Touring Shoe - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 80#reviews
Shimano RT82 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rt82-touring-shoes/

I wanted to stay around this price range if possible. If any one could suggest any better ones id be glad to take on your comments.

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2014
    I would not bother getting two pairs of the same shoe, spend the money on one better pair.
    What do you think is going to happen to them in 6 months?

They will be better when worn in anyway. New ones may give you problems on the ride.
    Do not do anything new on a big ride or event. Everything has to be tried and tested.

Avoid touring shoes, they are for touring only.
    Touring is cycling to towns and then walking about in the town.
    They use MTB cleats and pedals.

Road shoes (like the first ones in your list) are the most difficult to walk in because the cleat is exposed.
    MTB shoes would be a better option than touring shoes. They are stiffer and you can still walk in them.
  • Buy the road shoes with carbon soles that fit you best, good advice to buy one better quality pair. My faves are bont wide fits they suit my feet best.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    You are comparing different shoes, for different systems:
    road shoes for 3 bolt road pedals
    touring shoes for 2 bolt MTB pedals

Unless you're going to be doing lots of walking around in them, get a 3 bolt road shoe like the shimano R088, with some suitable pedals such as SPD-SL or Look Keo.

My recommendation for shoes is always to buy whatever fits you best, but shimano shoes, like the R088 are good shoes in my opinion (I have the R170 which are essentially the R088 except made from more expensive materials).

I find that having a ratchet closure system is worth the extra money over cheaper velcro options (so the R088 over the RT064, for example).

When I first started out, I was planning a cycle tour and went for a touring shoe (shimano RT shoe with velcro fastening, I forget the number) and shimano 2 bolt pedals (M520) and I don't regret it. Many people never change from a setup like this (although most get more "serious" and change to a road system).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Many thanks for your quick replies. I only thought of buying new closer to the date in case they got ruined. If they last that'll be even better. Ill stay away from touring shoes then - thank you

Ill stick to the Shimano R088 shoes then - was lookign at buying the Shimano 105 5700C Carbon pedals so hopefully they will compliment each other nicely.

My next question was going to be about the ratchel system vs the velcro - glad you answered that already for me. Thank you.
  • Anonymous
    Carbon soles are going to be pretty expensive and probably not really needed.
    Carbon would be nice but you can get some stiff nylon soled ones.

I would get ratchet top strap (or possibly boa) and avoid ones with three velcro strap.

Spend you cash on some decent bib tights rather than expensive shoes or an unnecessary duplicate pair.
  • Anonymous
    105 carbon sounds a bit overkill.
    There are some similar looking ones that are a lot cheaper and the cash might be better spent elsewhere perhaps.
  • Thats some great advice, bib tights are my next buy. The mrs isn't too happy all this money is being spend mind! haha

Would i be better off getting the R550's? A little cheaper.
  • Anonymous
    These are the ones I mean
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec054688

Evans have the carbon 105 for £61 so not as expensive as I fought they were.
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2014
    Unlike shoes and pedals where I have suggested reining in the budget a bit, bib tights need to be really decent ones.

Endura FS260 Pro are a good starting point.

You should be washing after each ride ideally so you may need more than one pair.
    Chamois creme is a good idea too.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    These are the ones I mean
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec054688

Evans have the carbon 105 for £61 so not as expensive as I fought they were.

I went to the Evans store close to me today and asked about the OE pedals. The guy there advised that there may be some kind of defect with the OE pedals - i thought it was only the box??

Ill have a good look at those bib's and cream also - thanks
  • Anonymous
    Original Equipement pedals are not seconds as far as I know.
    Not sure how pedals can be defective.

Would I be right in thinking they did not have OE ones in the store?
    Just click and collect them to the store or have them home delivered.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Original Equipement pedals are not seconds as far as I know.
    Not sure how pedals can be defective.

Would I be right in thinking they did not have OE ones in the store?
    Just click and collect them to the store or have them home delivered.

You are 100% correct and come to think of it the guy in the store kept pestering me to buy the non OE ones - more money for him im guessing?
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like he was just being lazy
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Carbonator wrote:
    Avoid touring shoes, they are for touring only.
    Touring is cycling to towns and then walking about in the town.
    They use MTB cleats and pedals.

Road shoes (like the first ones in your list) are the most difficult to walk in because the cleat is exposed.
    MTB shoes would be a better option than touring shoes. They are stiffer and you can still walk in them.

I have road shoes, touring shoes and MTB shoes and I have found that...

You can't walk in road shoes
    You can walk in touring and MTB shoes
    Road and touring shoes have identical stiff soles
    The MTB shoes have more flexible soles and tread
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Sorry to drag this topic back up but im looking at purchasing the R088's tonight but im struggling with the sizing. Im a UK and that equates to a 45.5 - but....................they only come in a 45 or a 46 so they'll be half a size too small or too big.
    Can any one recommend what to do for please?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    All my shimano shoes are one size bigger than my foot size as they are small shoes for their size
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    As above, go for the 46 or 47. Most decent online places do free returns, so I normally order a few sizes at a time.
    Red bikes are the fastest.