Bikebox on Jet2

Adrian Waine
Adrian Waine Posts: 284
edited June 2014 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to Mallorca in May and have been looking into bike carriage with Jet2.
On their website it states that bikes should be packed in a cardboard box no larger than 3' x 6'.
Has anyone travelled with a BikeBoxAlan via Jet2 and have there been any problems at check-in?
I don't want to turn up and be refused carriage or charged extra.
Adrian W.

Comments

• Hi, I've taken both road bikes and mountain bikes to Tenerife with jet2 . I used to use a large soft bike bag until I could afford a hardcased bike box never had any problems other than had to check in and collect from oversized luggage area, which is not that much of a problem other than it can be at the other end of the airport. Enjoy Mallorca it's a great place to ride.
  • Cheers.
    Rang Jet2 this morning and I was assured that the 'must be packed in a cardboard box' was an old instruction and that a dedicated bike box was OK as long as it was within the specified dimensions.
    Phew!
    Adrian W.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Lucky you!
    Our club went to Mallorca last year with Jet2. No problems.
    Would go back tomorrow
  • Yes, looking forward to it.
    Adrian W.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Read their carrier regs very carefully. They have (or had last time I flew them, in September) a weight limit of 20kg for bike and box, and if it is more than this they will (unless you are very lucky) refuse it. They don't (or didn't) offer the option of paying excess luggage on bikes. They differ significantly from Easyjet in their approach to bikes. I've been with guys twice where their packed bike weighed more than 20Kg. Only with a great deal of persuasion, and the fact that two of us had bikes under the 20Kg limit, and that theirs were only just over, got their bikes on the plane. Differentl people, different flights, different airports. No doubt somebody will be along shortly to say there isn't a problem, but I've seen it happen twice.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Adrian Waine
    Adrian Waine Posts: 284
    When we flew (late May) allowance was 30kg. Yes I did print the page out to go with my 23kg box.
    BTW, staff great at Manchester. Had letter for CO2 cartridges, which did cause problems as the check in operator wanted a copy and couldn't find a working copier!
    Adrian W.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    You are correct - I've just booked a flight, and rather sensibly, they've upped the limit.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net