No commuting for 2 weeks

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm on jury service. Do not fancy leaving the bike in the area where the court is so unless I find some secure parking when I go there on Monday...it's 2 weeks off for me.

Luckily it starts pretty late so my plan is still to get some miles in beforehand.

Comments

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Can't you commute to your normal place of work then Boris bike it to the court?
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Good idea but well outside the Boris bike area. I'm at a court in Basildon.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What you need is a pub bike. I just bought an ancient MTB for £30; no-one in their right mind is going to bother to steal that (and if they do, I'm only £30 down)...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    As TGOTB said you need a hack. I can't sell the Marin in my sig because I've had it years and am rather attached to it. But I can lock it places I wouldn't leave the Kinesis and not be too worried, plus it's actually a really good bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 I have an old 1997 Gary Fisher MTB hack bike, complete with cheap looking grip shifts and rust spots, all in it owes me about £25 and I can leave it almost anywhere, run it on some old Spesh Nimbus 26" slicks on some cheap wheels and 1x7 (gearing spread is fine for town and back).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1, 1995/6 hybrid here, that owes me nothing; thousands of miles later still going strong but tatty enough that other bikes would be more attractive

rkr895.jpg
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Indeed a hack/older bike is much more restful when you've parked up, the roadie in in storage so I'm using the old MTB for popping about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8766162@N04/12732720325/

Heavy and not fast but fat rubber and decent brakes are highly reassuring when things are a bit greasy.