Back on the saddle

pjevo
pjevo Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hello.

Finally took the plunge and purchased a used Trek 1.5 bike after reading many posts on here.
Really pleased with it - fast, quiet and smooth and just completed a 20mile ride in south downs. Gears need a service as a bit of rub.The hills were difficult and ahem, I had to walk up a little way up on one...
The bike made me feel like a 12 year old again with my first Raleigh racer. Tired now, but a huge grin on my face! Brilliant!

Cheers, Paul

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    oxoman wrote:
    Welcome and glad you managed 20 mile on first run, just keep it up it does get easier, honest.

It never gets easier, you just go faster (and further).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Good man! give it a few weeks and you'll be wondering why you ever needed to walk up that little mound of a hill and start looking for bigger ones to tackle :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    oxoman wrote:
    Welcome and glad you managed 20 mile on first run, just keep it up it does get easier, honest.
    No it doesn't - you just get faster! :wink:
  • pjevo
    pjevo Posts: 3
    Thanks chaps.
    I began to wonder what a mid - top end bike must be like to ride! I appreciate you see incremental changes - but I was amazed how well the Trek delivered and rode. Obviously new to this and still in awe. That said I do need to sort out and service gear so need to look out for a guide.
    Can't wait for tomorrow and Sunday - weather looks brilliant for a ride!
    Cheers, Paul
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    pjevo wrote:
    That said I do need to sort out and service gear so need to look out for a guide.
    Cheers, Paul

Have a google for the Shimano tech docs for the groupset you have, that'll tell you how to set the gears up properly. BUT a little rub may be normal - if you're trying bib/big or small/small combos, and not using the "trim" function of the front mech (again, the tech docs will explain).

And Welcome, a 20 miler straight off is pretty good!