Are More Expensive Shoes Worth it?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I will need to replace my shoes soon and they are just cheap shimano ones, I have no problems with them but I was just wondering what the difference is between these (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himzshr363) and ones that cost closer to £100?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I can notice when i switch from my plastic soled winter boots to a pair of carbon soled shoes.
    Other than that not really. Just get the ones you like and can afford
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    for just plugging around? not much. Other than the fact I find my feet take more hammering from the decidedly less stiff soles when I forced into my back up, back up, back up pair! At the performance end of the sport far more.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Carbon sole shoes have the rigidity, but it's all about how they fit you.

I have a decent pair of carbon Sidi's which fit well, even better after replacing the dreadful insoles they came with...

Through the winter I have been wearing my old plastic soled Specialized which fit like a pair of slippers.

At the end of the day a moderate cost pair of shoes that fit you well are more beneficial than the most expensive shoe that does not fit so well.

I know it is obvious, but all size 9's are not the same across manufacturers for example.......try a few to see what suits your feet.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    The biggest thing you'll notice is the ratchet close mechanism, it's a lot better than plain old velcro. For that reason alone, I'd say that the R088 is definitely worth the extra over the R064: the other benefits are just gravy.

But I agree that it is fit that is most important. I find than shimano fit me much better than anything else, so I have the R170 (same design as the R088, just different materials used).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    The biggest thing you'll notice is the ratchet close mechanism, it's a lot better than plain old velcro. For that reason alone, I'd say that the R088 is definitely worth the extra over the R064: the other benefits are just gravy.

But I agree that it is fit that is most important. I find than shimano fit me much better than anything else, so I have the R170 (same design as the R064, just different materials used).

Agreed, ratchet is good, as are the various Boa or Boa like systems, for getting fit spot on.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rafletcher wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

But I agree that it is fit that is most important. I find than shimano fit me much better than anything else, so I have the R170 (same design as the R064, just different materials used).

Agreed, ratchet is good, as are the various Boa or Boa like systems, for getting fit spot on.

Ratchets are fine but if I use shoes which fasten with velcro I find it takes no more time in the adjusting than for those with ratchets and I've never found myself riding along feeling that I'm missing the ratchets on my shoes! Arguably, all they are is bling that adds a little bit of extra weight.

I wouldn't not buy a pair of shoes purely because they were all velcro strapped.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The most important thing with shoes is that they fit well. I'm still searching for the perfect shoe.

Plus I think ratchet closure is better myself, you can tighten or loosen on the fly very easily.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    thanks, I think i might just go for the same again, they fit me well and if they didnt need replacing I wouldnt have even thought about it, a lot of the miles they see will be to and from work so not looking for anything too flash.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Chris Bass wrote:
    thanks, I think i might just go for the same again, they fit me well and if they didnt need replacing I wouldnt have even thought about it, a lot of the miles they see will be to and from work so not looking for anything too flash.

Have you checked out the sale at chain reaction or the Fizik R3s at Planet X?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFIRSRCS/ ... ling-shoes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/r-pm ... t=pricelow
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    It's all relative, if you can afford it and you are wanting to generate more power then yes. If you are happy plodding about on a cheap bike then no.

I bought the Shimano 315 custom moulded shoes and they are great as they are custom fitted. They aren't cheap but I spent a lot on my S-Works and and extra few hundred on shoes won't break the bank.
  • It can be a very cost effective way of shedding 1/2 lb.
    Comparatively speaking.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    It can be a very cost effective way of shedding 1/2 lb.
    Comparatively speaking.

...and it is rotating weight
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2014
    Why is it when anyone mentions ratchet or boa someone comes along and mentions fit :roll:

It has to be assumed that fit is equally as good on all closure systems when choosing closure systems.
    You then find ones with a decent closure system that fit well.

Weight and mechanical soundness get mentioned a lot too.

Get some carbon ones if you want them light.
    You are paying more for a better closure system so its no big deal to pay even more if you have to compensate for the ratchet, and you will get a stiffer sole too.
    Just get boa if the weight of the ratchet is unbearable :wink:

As to them failing, well I guess something more complex has a higher chance of failing, but personally I would rather enjoy the hundreds of hours and thousands of miles with something better than have some a slightly better chance of nothing going wrong.

I find ratchet a lot easier and quicker to adjust. Boa even more so.
    Boa are a revelation and cannot see me going back to ratchet now.
    Super easy to put on, adjust and take off. You can take off one handed in a flash, something I really appreciate after a long ride :wink:
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    For commuting, I have found my bottom of the range Spesh shoes to be much better suited than the other top of the range Spesh and Sidi ones I have. You pay extra for less weight and stiffer, carbon soles - these attributes are great for all out riding, but make them much more vulnerable to bumps and bashes inflicted during central London stop start riding. It's just not what they were designed to do. Hence for commuting I'll be sticking with relatively cheap, robust shoes.

Peter
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    I've just been through this myself. Had the bottom of the line specialized shoes for 3 years. Feet were hurting and I thought it's about time the worn out shoes were replaced. I tried loads on from £80 base models to £300 top of the line gear. I found a £100 pair of Giro shoes with some specialized insoles were the best fit and comfort. That was my prime concern. Closure mechanism wasn't of any concern.

My advice would be go to a shop and spend some time talking to the guys in there and they will help you out. Might be a little more expensive than on the web but you can try as many pairs as possible. I went to Sigma Sport which stock a massive range - Bont, Mavic, Spesh, Giro and Fizik.

Ben