Best Cycling commentators

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited March 2014 in Road general
Here is my list including co-commentators on the right

1.David Harmon Sean Kelly ( After 10 years of carefully listening I can now understand him )
2.Phill Liggett Paul sherwin ( You can't have one without the other )
3.Rob Hatch Magnus Backstead
4.Declan Quigley Neil Stevens (Not sure if it's a v or a PH)
5.Carlton Kirby Dan LLoyd No abuse about Carlton please. He can't help being a clown.

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Brian Smith is good
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    no.2 are complete twats, no. 5 is questionable, totally agree with no.1, no3, Backstead is a mumbler.
  • 1964johnr
    I forgot about Brian Smith, he's pretty good.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    giant man wrote:
    no.2 are complete twats, no. 5 is questionable, totally agree with no.1, no3, Backstead is a mumbler.
    +1 for the abuse of Ligett and Sherwen. The rubbish they spout is unvelievable sometimes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Err, can I assume that no one will be voting for Sean Kelly who is the most incomprehensible spouter of sh!te in probably all sports? I know he has a palmares few others can match but he really is shockingly bad as a commentator.
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    ligett and sherwen make it unwatchable with the sound on.

Kelly is my personally fave.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Err, can I assume that no one will be voting for Sean Kelly who is the most incomprehensible spouter of sh!te in probably all sports? I know he has a palmares few others can match but he really is shockingly bad as a commentator.

I believe Kelly's fee is dependant on how many times he says the word "calculation". :D
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Bobbinogs wrote:

I believe Kelly's fee is dependant on how many times he says the word "calculation". :D
    Pretty sure it's his very favourite word alright! - i was going to make a joke about that too but you beat me to it.
    He's not a master communicator, was never a big talker but still manages to do a decent job as no.2 in the commentary box in my opinion - I like him. He keeps his mouth shut most of the time until he actually has something to say or gets asked a question so I wouldn't say he's a spouter of sh!te. Quite the opposite.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Pretty sure it's his very favourite word alright! - i was going to make a joke about that too but you beat me to it.
    He's not a master communicator, was never a big talker but still manages to do a decent job as no.2 in the commentary box in my opinion - I like him. He keeps his mouth shut most of the time until he actually has something to say or gets asked a question so I wouldn't say he's a spouter of sh!te. Quite the opposite.

Haha. Shows the subjective nature of our judgements. I really like Ligget and Sherwin :)
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    Cycling is probably one on the most difficult sports for commentary as most of the time it is just tempo riding. Every year we hear the same comments be it Paris Roubaix or the TDF. I actually like Ligget and Sherwin, I always look forward to their misinterpretation of events and phrases like 'suitcase of courage' ' legs like pistons' ...and every year 'if you brake you will loose at least 50 positions' in the final Kilometer...
  • Rob Hatch' pronunciation of names & teams has me in hysterics at times. Awful, utterly awful.

Really enjoy Harmon & Kelly and I wish Eurosport would give Harmon another contract.

David Duffield was also the voice of cycling whilst I was growing up, whatever happened to him?
  • 1964johnr
    I think David Duffield is still around, but he is about 84 and retired from commentating. I always remember is quote about Vladimir Karpets who was out on a break and was about to be caught. " It's curtains for Karpets"
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I used to enjoy Duffield describing the delights of what he had eaten the day before
  • Duffield never let a sprint finish or an attack get in the way of him finishing an anecdote.

I used to like Phil & Paul but they're a bit of a joke these days.

Love Kelly and his calculations, will be a bit lost on most people here but Roberto Vacchi on Eurosport in Sweden is very good.
    One of the worst has to be the chap who sounds like Richard Herring on the UCI youtube broadcasts