Recommended lightweight cheapish wheels

DM222
DM222 Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I realise cheap usually means heavy but can anyone recommend please some lightweight decent quality wheels that won't break the bank but would be a decent upgrade to the Shimano R501's I currently have please?!

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Cheapish is relative to disposable cash. What's your budget?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The R 501 are not heavy... if you consider they have heavy hubs, probably 200 grams heavier than wheels built with Taiwanese hubs, then the rotating part of the wheel actually weighs very little more.
    The risk is spending money to get something which is lighter as a whole, but has the same weight in spokes and rims...
    left the forum March 2023
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Miche wheels are good quality and their hubs are very good

These are a good price and decent weight

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-syntium-a ... -wheelset/
  • DM222
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Cheapish is relative to disposable cash. What's your budget?

£200 ish I think
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I've got these...

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105 ... 59395.html

£215 per pair, really good wheels IMO
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I'd save your money, you won't get any sort of proper upgrade for £200.
    Get some nice tyres or some comfy bib shorts instead.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Oh and BTW

If you are determined to get a wheel upgrade, I'd recommend saving a few more pennies. £300 I think is the sensible amount to spend. I had got some handbuilts made up for racing for £300 ish and there are plenty of factory options at this price too that come in around the 1500-1600g mark
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 You've already got lightweight cheapish wheels. You need to be spending £300 or more to get a tangible benefit.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    £300 will get you decent wheels, and hand built ones at that. That way you get the exact wheels you want for the purpose you're using the bike for.

What do you want out of a "better" wheel? What kind of riding do you do? What's your budget? You could end up paying £300 for no discernable benefit if you're not careful.

A nice wheel might be something like Shimanno 105 hubs and Archetype rims on 28 db spokes. And that's using spokes that are esaily replaceable and in stock at most shops, not silly hard-to-get straight pull things that take 4 weeks to deliver from timbuktoo.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DM222
    keef66 wrote:
    +1 You've already got lightweight cheapish wheels. You need to be spending £300 or more to get a tangible benefit.

Ok thanks
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/

These get good reviews and I keep looking at them :-)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    Save the extra £75 and get some Zondas..by far the best bang for buck
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    There is a downside to wheel upgrades, you may end up with lighter, more rigid ones that help you climb or accelerate but are perhaps more prone to pothole damage or less forgiving on bumps and rough tarmac, making the entire ride less comfortable. Depends on your area and the sort of rides you want to do. Upgrade for bling factor by all means, those zondas look great but theres always a trade-off somewhere.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Have a look at Swissside. St Bernard are what I have & are great. Franc get good reviews but are a touch above your price.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    £200 is not alot and is unlikely to get any advantages. I have yet to fine a wheel that less forginving than another if you use the same tyre and pressures. Radial deflection of any wheel is so small on rough roads that the rider will never notice the minute deflection (less than 0.1-0.2mm on a rough roads 1mm if a 4000N load is applied to the wheel). Sound transmision will be different with different wheels but this is easily cured with the right tyre and pressure.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.