Route advice (NE London/Essex to Nottingham)

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Anyone have a cycle friendly route from North/North East London up towards Nottingham?

LBL is coming around fast and need to get some long miles in, and think some forumites may have done something like this on London to John O'Groats, LEL, Rat Race type events.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gimme a shout when you're coming past I'll throw a stick through yer spokes :)

(Aim for the A60 into Nottingham, of the available routes this is the safest as long as you don't go all the way up to the A52 roundabout but cut through Ruddington. Although the A606 is a fun road to ride along... VERY rolling and there were quite a few cyclists going along last week.)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    have you checked on bikeroutetoaster et al?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Rat Rate route to Lincoln is very nice. Let me know if you want the GPX as I can download it from Garmin Connect

220 miles round trip, all country roads, really nice villages/fields, fairly flat.

http://www.strava.com/activities/49783741
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    willy b wrote:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/53437348

135 miles. If you want the GPX drop me a PM.

Part of my commute and right past where I work :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    It was a very easy route, and apart from the A5 the roads were all quite minor.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Cheers Coriordan & Willy B. Just what I was after. Tonight's task will be programming it, trying to convince the missus the world will be a better place if I disappear for a day, and trying to get my little brother to drive me and bike back to London.

All I have to do then is ride it and watch out for unfriendly internet people trying to break spokes (i'm really good at doing that myself)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    training for the LBL ...? nah! :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Apart from the A5, my route was all on quite roads, minimal hills obviously.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Can't help with anything south of the A14, but if you stay east of the M1 and get to Market Harborough the B6047 to Melton is lovely then either the A606 to Nottingham or the quieter lanes through the villages...