Use by dates...

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Are they really important?

How much of a margin of error do they build in?

What could be the worst thing that could happen :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    A bit of common sense (something which is severely lacking a lot folk these days) is required and you'll be OK.

If it's green and mouldy probably leave it :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    mudsucker wrote:
    A bit of common sense (something which is severely lacking a lot folk these days) is required and you'll be OK.

Pffft. Scrape the mouldy bits off and you're good to go.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    If it's an unopened can or bottle completely ignore the SBD , if it's bread with a bit of mould on it, pick the bits of and use it for toast/ breadcrumbs.
    Other than that, two simple tests that have kept me safe so far;

1. Does it make a noise when you poke it?
    2. Does it stick when you throw it against the wall?
  • seanoconn wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:

Whilst this is probably a joke I've known a few people who do this and it really isn't advisable as mould is a growing substance which is present before it becomes easily visible and not particularly good for you. You wouldn't scrape it off the top of an old drink and consume what's left.

As for the use by dates, depends a bit on the product as whether or not to risk it, also not to be confused with Best Before.
  • team47b
    Not green,squeaky or mouldy :D

I noticed this morning that my insulin was a touch out of date, I've been having problems maintaining blood glucose levels, tried eating less carbs, cycling more, and injecting more insulin to no avail, it said...

use before July 2013

What year we in?
  • team47b
    edited March 2014
    Double post, brain not functioning correctly :D
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If it can't make it's way off the plate under it's own steam it's fine to eat.

Use by dates are only there so you can't sue the shops for getting the squits :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    I think all that out of date insulin is having an affect on you T47 :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    No, that's just my own sell by date :D
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Not in the same league as injecting out of date medicines but:

I put some HP sauce on my steak sandwich at the weekend ... delicious. I noticed later that the HP was best before Jan 2007!
    I also have 6 pot noodles (chicken and mushroom) dating from 2004. I wonder if their taste has improved with age.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • arran77
    I don't think a pot noodle has anything in that can go off :P

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:

And if it did go off - how could you tell. It couldn't possibly taste worse than it's meant to taste.

I've found yoghurts three or four months out of date at the back of the fridge and they've been fine. And mince pies left over from a previous Christmas that were also spot on.

The only thing I get close to paranoid about is fish.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

And if it did go off - how could you tell. It couldn't possibly taste worse than it's meant to taste.

I've found yoghurts three or four months out of date at the back of the fridge and they've been fine. And mince pies left over from a previous Christmas that were also spot on.

I'm with you on the fish. I made a kedgeree with some smoked haddock once and that's the only foodstuff that's ever given me proper food poisoning. The kind with fever, hallucinations and projectile vomiting.

We did have a jar of Branston pickle once that had clearly started fermenting; most odd!
  • arran77
    keef66 wrote:
    We did have a jar of Branston pickle once that had clearly started fermenting; most odd!

I've stories about jars of homemade chutneys that have fermented inside the fridge and then exploded :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I believe you have to be careful with cheese! :shock:
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    seanoconn wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:

do that and you could ruin a perfectly good piece of Stilton.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think the white stuff on cheddar is either cheese mites or cheese mite crap, can't remember.

Yum..

Cheese_mite.jpg
  • team47b
    Rolf F wrote:

I stay out of their water, they stay out of my house :D
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521
    Rolf F wrote:

I think generally milk products tell you when they've gone off by the stench. And anyway yoghurts should be looked after by all the nice bacteria that turn it into yoghurt, I'd have thought. Re mince pies, I was rather put off Mr Kipling's by someone who used to work for them, and told me that they stopped making them in January each year, then restarted in February to build up the stocks for the following Christmas.

Are there foods that do go off enough to produce poisons, but don't produce a caution-inducing smell or display of fungus? My favourite fridge fungus is the one that creates a wonderful display of tall, delicate tree-like structures in the offending dish, though I can't remember what particular dish it likes to grow on.

Oh, and this is worth watching ... just as well it's not smellyvision though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbw9GJKG32I

Seems like my favourite Fridge fugus is zygomycota:

e7c1dd_4629463.jpg
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    They are fascinating organisms brian.

Just seen this Happy Womens Day by the way,that's my next card to look for.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    If you've leave anything in the freezer for too long, it might freeze-dehydrate. Trust me, if this happens just don't eat it. Puking all that back up is one of the most disgusting things ever to happen to me.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521
    johnfinch wrote:
    If you've leave anything in the freezer for too long, it might freeze-dehydrate. Trust me, if this happens just don't eat it. Puking all that back up is one of the most disgusting things ever to happen to me.
    Don't eat freezers then.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    mfin wrote:
    I think the white stuff on cheddar is either cheese mites or cheese mite crap, can't remember.

Yum..

Cheese_mite.jpg

or it could just be calcium lactate.

The older I get, the better I was.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My favourite fridge fungus is the one that creates a wonderful display of tall, delicate tree-like structures in the offending dish, though I can't remember what particular dish it likes to grow on.

Oh, and this is worth watching ... just as well it's not smellyvision though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbw9GJKG32I

Seems like my favourite Fridge fugus is zygomycota:

e7c1dd_4629463.jpg

That looks like a Rhizopus species. Black bread mould is one example. Sporulating fingi can be very pretty under the microscope