Stem and Handlebar advice

TCottle
TCottle Posts: 65
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice really...

I'm still quite newb to the whole MTB'ing thing at the moment, but I am really enjoying myself.

After longer rides, I tend to suffer a bit of back pain, which I thought might be helped by getting a new handlebar with a bit of rise in it. I also thought it might be an idea to get a shorter stem to go with it?

Is this a sensible idea? Would I also see any handling improvements - As I'm leaning towards twisty stuff as apposed to out and out cross country stuff.

Can anyone suggest some decent components?

I suppose being 6'8'' doesn't help matters, as the seat post tends to be quite high in relation to the handlebars. I do drop it once I get to the twisties though!

My bike is a Trek X-Caliber 7, here;

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12953540

Cheers for any advice!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    One change at a time so you can tell what each change does for you. Get some cheap bits from ebay, you're unlikely to get it right first time.
    No one can really tell you what you need.
  • TCottle
    TCottle Posts: 65
    Cheers dude, I thought the same to a degree!

Still looking for some suggestions that could tempt my wallet :mrgreen:
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    If your that tall I would go WIDE
  • First things first , alter stem height , move saddle forwards. I went from a 100 stem to a 70 and 680 bar to Easton carbon 720. Perfect now but it is very much individual . Shortvstem wide bar does sharpen steering . ( I got potentially expensive stuff for 1/2 retail via classifieds on here