Tour of Britain 2014 Route

BigDarbs
BigDarbs Posts: 132
edited April 2014 in Pro race
It looks like the Tour of Britain 2014 is coming to Worcester for a stage start on Thursday Sept 11th 2014.

Interestingly the news report also states "The 11th annual Tour of Britain will come to Worcester on Wednesday, September 10 and Thursday, September 11".

Does that mean there will be a stage finish the day before as well?

Information came form the Worcester News http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/110 ... ling_race/

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    BigDarbs wrote:
    It looks like the Tour of Britain 2014 is coming to Worcester for a stage start on Thursday Sept 11th 2014.

Interestingly the news report also states "The 11th annual Tour of Britain will come to Worcester on Wednesday, September 10 and Thursday, September 11".

Information came form the Worcester News http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/110 ... ling_race/

Like the way the paper's freely promising Wiggins and Froome will be there....
  • BigDarbs
    Yes, I guess they assume every UK cycling race has them in it!
  • Richmond Racer
    BigDarbs wrote:
    Yes, I guess they assume every UK cycling race has them in it!

Very much looking forward to seeing them in the Lincoln GP! :wink:
  • BigDarbs
    I wonder if any other local papers are gradually revealing the route ahead of any official announcements?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    BigDarbs wrote:

Would that make it the 3rd or 4th time Froome has set foot in the UK?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    BigDarbs wrote:

Would that make it the 3rd or 4th time Froome has set foot in the UK?

Now now, Frenchie, he's in double figures
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Full route announced this evening, but Stage 1 is in Liverpool - ten laps of a 13km city centre circuit.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    A summit finish on The Tumble apparently. And a stage finishing in Hemel Hempstead (Matt Stephen's influence knows no bounds).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    1 Liverpool Circuit
    2 Knowsley-Llandudno
    3 Newtown-The Tumble (Abergavenny)
    4 Worcester-Bristol
    5 Exeter-Exmouth
    6 Bath-Hemel Hempstead
    7 Camberley-Brighton
    8a Westminster TT
    8b London Crit
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    9 Pro tour teams:

Belkin, Sky, Saxo-Tinkoff, BMC, Cannondale, Garmin, Movistar, OPQS and Giant Shimano
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    RichN95 wrote:
    1 Liverpool Circuit
    2 Knowsley-Llandudno
    4 Worcester-Bristol
    5 Exeter-Exmouth
    6 Bath-Hemel Hempstead
    7 Camberley-Brighton
    8a Westminster TT
    8b London Crit

Cue half the country moaning because it doesn't pass their front door.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well Liverpool is the closest it comes to the North. Pish route. Dismal.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    1 Liverpool Circuit
    2 Knowsley-Llandudno
    4 Worcester-Bristol
    5 Exeter-Exmouth
    6 Bath-Hemel Hempstead
    7 Camberley-Brighton
    8a Westminster TT
    8b London Crit

Cue half the country moaning because it doesn't pass their front door.

While the other half moan that it does :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BkE9gHrIcAEEtLy.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Disappointed with the north Wales stage again. Dodging all the decent stuff.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    mr_poll wrote:
    9 Pro tour teams:

Belkin, Sky, Saxo-Tinkoff, BMC, Cannondale, Garmin, Movistar, OPQS and Giant Shimano

Really hope Caja Rural get let in. We need Madrazo back.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    sjmclean wrote:

I know, gah, I mean it's not like the north of england has anything else happening this year is it?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    ddraver wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

I know, gah, I mean it's not like the north of england has anything else happening this year is it?

Don't worry if the Tour and the Giro can hold a few stages in another country then I am sure the Tour of Britain can nip north of the border in 2015 if you bung us some of your oil/gas money :wink:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Tour of South Britain
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I am ludicrously excited by this route. For a number of reasons.

Liverpool City Centre - meh, but it could be amazing running it down by the docks and stuff? World Heritage site and that?
    North Wales looks as though it is dodging the really hard climbs, but it'll be lumpy enough?
    Mid Wales to South will be a Tumble top finish.
    Worcester to Bristol is Forest of Dean? If its what I've ridden through on a JOGLE, its lovely riding.
    Exmouth to Exeter could be pretty lumpy and challenging
    Bath to Hemel will go past my Mum's front door - couple of Chilterny bits to make it interesting at the back end - possibly Whiteleaf? Or Chinnor Hill?
    Camberley to Brighton will go past my Dad's front door and will have them go up Ditchling by the look of things
    London - TT and City circuit to finish (meh, but standard).
    I like it.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    mroli wrote:
    Worcester to Bristol is Forest of Dean?

Looking at the outline map on the website more like the Cotswolds ridge from Broadway to Stroud, but with a diversion to take in Cheltenham. Still some cracking scenery (and hills if they keep their nerve).
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    To quell the 'rubbish it doesn't come near me' posts apparently the deal is that it will switch biannually between West and South (like this year) and North and East (next year). By not trying to cover the whole country each year they can keep the transfers fairly short.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Nice summary of it here: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/m ... route-2014

Thanks RonB - that's lovely riding too.

R0bh - that makes sense and I look forward to everyone posting next year that it can't be the TOB without going to the South West!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    MTF on a The Tumble as demanded by Blazing and myself. Should be epic, I assume the road will be closed for hours beforehand. It's a big year for cycling in the metropolis of Abergavenny :D
  • Finish in Hemel should prove interesting, pretty sure we are the nation's mini roundabout capital.
  • Very happy with the Devon route, takes in dartmoor and finishes in Exeter 8)
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:

Liverpool City Centre - meh, but it could be amazing running it down by the docks and stuff? World Heritage site and that?
    North Wales looks as though it is dodging the really hard climbs, but it'll be lumpy enough?
    Worcester to Bristol is Forest of Dean? If its what I've ridden through on a JOGLE, its lovely riding.
    Bath to Hemel will go past my Mum's front door - couple of Chilterny bits to make it interesting at the back end - possibly Whiteleaf? Or Chinnor Hill?
    Camberley to Brighton will go past my Dad's front door and will have them go up Ditchling by the look of things
    I like it.

Tour de Mroli

No problem with that, you've paid your dues to the sport :wink:

Otherwise, typical complaints from some cycling fans - In My Back Yard syndrome
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    RonB wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Worcester to Bristol is Forest of Dean?

Looking at the outline map on the website more like the Cotswolds ridge from Broadway to Stroud, but with a diversion to take in Cheltenham. Still some cracking scenery (and hills if they keep their nerve).

Depends on the route, but it could take in the old Birdlip hill climb, previously used in the Tour of the Cotswolds. Its rated at 18% I think.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Passes within 200yds of my door. That'll do. The day is being booked off first thing tomorrow!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mroli wrote:

I like it.

Tour de Mroli

No problem with that, you've paid your dues to the sport :wink:

Otherwise, typical complaints from some cycling fans - In My Back Yard syndrome

It's not in my back yard syndrome, what ever the bloody hell that is, last year I had to travel for over an hour and a half to see the Scottish stage, this year 4 hours or 220 miles to the nearest stage.

I'm not asking for my back garden, I'm asking for a better spread of locations.