Does anyone have any experience with Vitus Bikes?

Weston Flyer
Weston Flyer Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I was on the verge of spending £2K of my hard earned on a new Rose CRS, but during a final scout around t'internet I came across this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... -prod81021

I know little to nothing about Vitus bikes but the spec and price both look good on this. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or comments?

Cheers.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The company that own Chain Reaction bought the Vitus brand a while back - consider it CR's in-house brand. It's another generic, far-east produced frame like all all others at that price.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Look at the new Giant Propel and Felt AR5 there's reviews on bikeradar's home page gorgeous bikes
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • IrishMac wrote:
    Look at the new Giant Propel and Felt AR5 there's reviews on bikeradar's home page gorgeous bikes
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The company that own Chain Reaction bought the Vitus brand a while back - consider it CR's in-house brand. It's another generic, far-east produced frame like all all others at that price.

Cheers guys, another case of - if it looks too good to be true it probably is!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Sean Kelly was happy to have his name associated with the brand, so I'm not sure you should just dismiss Vitus out of hand. Whilst the association is no doubt commercially driven, the man's a legend!

Peter
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    edited March 2014
    IrishMac wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Eh? What are you on about? Do even understand what that phrase means?

Why not do some research and find out some reviews by people who've ridden Vitus bikes rather rely on the usual mindless comments such as "it's just a generic far-east produced frame".
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I own 4 of them if that helps :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you look at their 'urban' bikes (I'm thinking the 26 inch wheeled single speed MTB that can take full guards which gets great reviews) then they are clearly not afraid of doing things their own way. I think they stand out of the crowd, and look better, than the average Trek or Giant.

Vitus seem great value to me. CRC are good too, which helps. Can't comment on how this bike rides though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • northpole wrote:
    Sean Kelly was happy to have his name associated with the brand, so I'm not sure you should just dismiss Vitus out of hand. Whilst the association is no doubt commercially driven, the man's a legend!

Peter

Absolutely true, I would hope he wouldn't put his name to anything second rate.
    IrishMac wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Eh? What are you on about? Do even understand what that phrase means?

Why not do some research and find out some reviews by people who've ridden Vitus bikes rather rely on the usual mindless comments such as "it's just a generic far-east produced frame".

Ok, calm down :) Perhaps my remark was a little flippant, but that's exactly what I was trying to do. Do you have any thoughts any Vitus bikes yourself?
    NeXXus wrote:
    I own 4 of them if that helps :D
    passout wrote:
    If you look at their 'urban' bikes (I'm thinking the 26 inch wheeled single speed MTB that can take full guards which gets great reviews) then they are clearly not afraid of doing things their own way. I think they stand out of the crowd, and look better, than the average Trek or Giant.

Vitus seem great value to me. CRC are good too, which helps. Can't comment on how this bike rides though.

Cheers for commenting guys. Ultimately the only thing putting me off the Vitus is the 52/39 double, I'd prefer a compact. So it may be that the Rose wins on those grounds alone, because I can spec what I want.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Chainrings are pretty easy to change and new ones hold a great deal of their value. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Nothing wrong with far east produced frames - you won't find anything else at this price regardless of what the stickers imply. Compare the specs - you'll likely save 15-20% in comparison to a big brand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Nothing wrong with far east produced frames - you won't find anything else at this price regardless of what the stickers imply. Compare the specs - you'll likely save 15-20% in comparison to a big brand.
    NeXXus wrote:
    Chainrings are pretty easy to change and new ones hold a great deal of their value. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me

Cheers guys :)