New wheels, cassette question?

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have just purchased some new Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS Wheels to replace my Alex DC19 wheels and have a question about the cassette, the one on the bike is a Shimano 10-Speed 12-30T along with a 50/34 Tooth Chainring should I get the exact same or something different?
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I'm not sure I fully understand your question but if it is a concern about will the same cassette fit on your new wheels, then 'Yes' is the answer. You have a 10-speed chainset on the bike at the moment. The new Mavics will have an 11-speed freehub but should come with a 1.85mm spacer to allow 10-speed cassettes to be used.

The 10-speed cassette on your old wheels should have a 1mm spacer on the freehub as well. If they do then you should use this as well. 10-speed cassettes are slightly narrower than the older 9-speed which is why you need the 1mm spacer. If you don't have the 1mm spacer then don't worry, it will work fine without it. I would check the shifting on the rear dérailleur is correct though with the new wheels.
  • Thanks for your reply and very helpful as I didn't know about the spacer, what I badly mean't to say, is the cassette I have on the current wheels the best type of cassette in that you can get 11-25, 11-28, 12-25, 12-28, 12-30 should I keep the same or go for something better, sorry if this seems a bit simple not sure of the differance?

The cassette I have is a Shimano 4600 Tiagra 10-speed Cassette would I also be better getting the 105?
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Your existing 12-30 cassette gives you a really good bottom gear for getting up steep hills. If you find you never need bottom gear then you could consider getting something like a 12-28 which would still give you a pretty low bottom gear but with closer spacing between the cogs.

If you find your top gear is too low and you are spinning out, you could consider getting an 11-28 which would give you a really high top gear for pedalling downhill. If you only ride in flat areas or want to race, an 11-25 or 12-25 might be suitable.

I feel if you are happy with your gearing now, then keep it as it is. The set-up you have now is a good all-rounder suitable for everything, including high mountains. It's always good to know you have a low bail out gear, particularly if you hit a big hill at the end of a long day's riding. There's no real benefit to you in getting 105 instead of Tiagra.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Your existing 12-30 cassette gives you a really good bottom gear for getting up steep hills. If you find you never need bottom gear then you could consider getting something like a 12-28 which would still give you a pretty low bottom gear but with closer spacing between the cogs.

If you find your top gear is too low and you are spinning out, you could consider getting an 11-28 which would give you a really high top gear for pedalling downhill. If you only ride in flat areas or want to race, an 11-25 or 12-25 might be suitable.

I feel if you are happy with your gearing now, then keep it as it is. The set-up you have now is a good all-rounder suitable for everything, including high mountains. It's always good to know you have a low bail out gear, particularly if you hit a big hill at the end of a long day's riding. There's no real benefit to you in getting 105 instead of Tiagra.

+1 :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If your legs say you need a 12/30 then get another 12/30. If you never use the 30 then a 12/28 will give closer ratios in the middle of the range.
    Let your wallet decide on Tiagra / 105 etc.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Better to have that low gear and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've going from 12-27 to 12-29 as I have some big hills coming up and with an 11sp setup I don't lose anything really (the biggest cogs are 26-29 instead of 25-27, all others are the same).

As others have said, if you need that 30 cog, keep it. Otherwise drop down to a 28 and gain a couple of closer ratio gears in the mix.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • thanks guys I don't use the 30 so think with that in mind I'll go for the 28 really helpful thanks :)
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • Just wanted to add I got a shimano 105 11-25 cassette and to test it out rode up Ditchling Beacon and pleased to say it was great and love the new wheels too, next plan to upgrade more parts, better get working extra and saving lol - thanks for the advice
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016