rim tape on tubeless rims?

grim168
grim168 Posts: 482
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I've bought a pair of ultegra 6700 wheels to go on my scott speedster and am not going to run them tubeless. As there are no spoke holes in the rim do i need rim tape ?
Cheers, Graham.

Comments

• harkmeadow
    harkmeadow Posts: 193
    Why not run them tubeless, ride quality is far superior. Anyway you shouldn't need tape if your rim has no spoke holes.
  • grim168
    To be honest I haven't really looked at running tubelesss. wheels came with valves so just need sealant and right sort of tyres. Any recomendations re tyres?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    There are a number of posts regarding tubeless tyres in the Road forums, use the search option in Road Buying Advice, Road Beginners and Road General. I asked a similar question recently and received some useful replies.
  • grim168
    Thanks, will have a nose around
  • harkmeadow
    harkmeadow Posts: 193
    I got these from star bikes in Germany for about 75 euro (2 tyres). Comes with sealant as well. You should just need a tubeless valve - see Stan's bikes. http://road.cc/content/review/95313-sch ... less-tyres

Easy to get on and the ride is noticeably better compared to gp4000s. Riding about 90psi compared to 95-100 previously. Hate to see how they wear, but very happy so far.
  • grim168
    Tubeless valves came with the wheels. Not many places selling the schwalbe set in uk.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    This nice man has a good price on Schwalbe Ultremo tubeless: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-ULTREMO-ZX-Evolution-TL-FOLDING-700x23-BLACK-/380848462535 . Wiggle carry Hutchinsons; try Fusions for summer, Intensives for long life/winter.
  • triboy222
    triboy222 Posts: 217
    You won't need rim tape if there are no spoke holes. Bit like Kysriums.
  • grim168
    Gonna order the schwalbe kit from zee germans. Thanks everyone for your input.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you decided to go tubeless, have you any idea just how messy running tubeless tyres can be?

If you get a puncture you are pretty much f@#d unless you use sealant, then the sealant itself is the messiest thing you can imagine. IF it fails to seal you are covered in the stuff and yet again f@#d. As far as road wheels go tubeless solves a non existant problem but offers plenty more.

Read this before buying http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new ... o-tubeless

Best stick with the other route in my opinion.

As mentioned above, rims are sealed so rim tape is not a requirement.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    If you decided to go tubeless, have you any idea just how messy running tubeless tyres can be?
    If you get a puncture you are pretty much f@#d unless you use sealant, then the sealant itself is the messiest thing you can imagine. IF it fails to seal you are covered in the stuff and yet again f@#d.
    Tubeless has been fit and forget for me. Three years without a puncture. I run Hutchinson Intensives with sealant thru the winter, Fusions without sealant for summer. Sure, the odd thorn has poked it's way thru but I didn't notice until the tyre went soft overnight. No more grubbing around on the muddy verge of a wind-swept hillside as night begins to fall.

Then add to that big, big plus the fact that tubeless tyres roll faster and smoother.

Here's a video I made to show tubeless tyre fitting in 4, hassle free, minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIAV_TBoFP0
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Bah humbug - another detractor who has clearly had no personal experience of tubeless. ;)

Having run tubeless on a MTB for 2 years with only one puncture that required any trailside attention (ie remove the valve and whatever sealant was still sloshing around before chucking in a tube), where's the downside?? There's no downside to still carrying a single spare tube / CO2 refil (which will get used far less often).

Go tubeless without question - you wont regret it.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Hope no-one minds me gate-crashing this thread but it seemed a good place for my query.

I have bought some second-hand tubeless ready wheels I'll be running with some existing clincher tyres and innertubes.

Does anyone know if tubeless rim tape (currently in place on the wheels) is OK to use with innertubes or would anyone recommend I change it?

(Now I've typed that, I think changing the rim tape for tubed rim tape is less hassle than having x2 continuously puncturing innertubes while miles from home........!)
  • Bah humbug - another detractor who has clearly had no personal experience of tubeless. ;)

Having run tubeless on a MTB for 2 years with only one puncture that required any trailside attention (ie remove the valve and whatever sealant was still sloshing around before chucking in a tube), where's the downside?? There's no downside to still carrying a single spare tube / CO2 refil (which will get used far less often).

Go tubeless without question - you wont regret it.

Bah humbug, another MTBer who clearly has no personal experience of tubeless on a road bike:-)

I have seen a number of issues with tubeless on road tyres, more than once with people having to get rescued as they weren't able to continue their ride, this has never happened in my experience with tubes. Others have had to replace almost brand new tyres at over £50 a pop because of a cut in the tyre. The issue is that the tubeless sealant is rated to 45 psi or thereabouts, nowhere near enough for skinny road tyres, and the pressure just squirts all the sealant out of the hole until it can't be ridden any longer.

I run tubeless on my cyclocross/gravel bike. I run my 40mm tyres at 35 psi and although I haven't yet seen any evidence of a puncture yet I see that tubeless makes a lot of sense in that application, although recent experience riding in a group on the King Alfred's Way made it clear that it is not always plain sailing even then.