Home build

Shaggy1
Shaggy1 Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I want to build a bike to my own colours , kit etc. can any one advise me on what would be a good base frame.

Comments

• Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    If you want some recommendations, you will have to give the forum a clue !
    That is such an open ended question.
    What type of frame do you require, sportive, cyclocross, road, aggressive road etc
    What material where you thinking of ?
    What is your budget ?
    It sounds like you are new to cycling and should do some research into what kind of bike you would like.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    If choice of colour is more important than geometry speak to Wyndy Milla or Starleybikes - both do custom colours.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Shaggy1
    Hi sorry, just new to forums , I want a relaxed sportive or touring type. Not a head down racer. I would prefer a frame from the 80's
  • Shaggy1
    And steel or aluminium medium to large
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    px has a load of steel frames if you like jazzy paint jobs

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/roa ... ike-frames
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Shaggy1 wrote:
    Hi sorry, just new to forums , I want a relaxed sportive or touring type. Not a head down racer. I would prefer a frame from the 80's

A frame form the 80's will probably have a 126mm OLN rear axle spacing, whereas modern 9/10/11 speed rear wheels need 130mm OLN. Of course you could try ang get something like a galaxy frame, as that had MTB rear spacing, 135mm OLN.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    cattytown wrote:
    If choice of colour is more important than geometry speak to Wyndy Milla or Starleybikes - both do custom colours.

Paul.

WyndyMilla do custom geometry as well, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Truly custom paint done by a top shop is not cheap (my own Massive Attack is a good example of this).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Shaggy1
    Thank you moonbiker that's exactly what I'm looking for. :)
  • Think these guys are trying to confuse you a little here.
    Its obvious your not going to be a balls out racer on this bike, so just enjoy the learning curve.

If you get an "80's" racer/tourer, your going to struggle if you ever want to put the new stuff on it, as the rear wheel is narrower and the the hub will never take anything bigger than 7 speed. Also fork stems are now a different size (1.1/8inch and not 1Inch), so you'll be very limited in your choices here too.

If you want an 80's bike, buy something you like on Ebay or the local rag for as little as you can and start building.
    (I bought a Dawes Impulse off a mate for £40 and given a Raleigh Classic for nothing from another)

Buy yourself a micrometer so you can measure stuff like seat posts etc.

Custom paint jobs cost a fortune. If you do it yourself, it will be fun, but scratch off the first time you put a leg over it (unless you can heat the paint a little and use lacquer) .
    Look at local adds/Ebay again for "powder Coating". Paint removal and application will cost between £45 and £80 and will last forever (this what most of the single speed makers do).

If you want something that is more modern, once again you'll get something from Ebay. I just bought a Boardman Hybrid Pro delivered for £35. It will make a great flat bar trainer/winter bike.

When you want to find advice, use Google as there's a ton of info out there on forums, but be a little more exact. Most guys look at Sheldon Brown.

Hope this helps
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.