10speed wheel / 11 Speed shimano groupo

harkmeadow
harkmeadow Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I've got an old 10 Spd wheel that fits and seems to be indexed pretty much perfectly with the 11spd 6800 gs when I put it on the bike. Want to use it on the turbo to save tyre on best wheelset.

Seems to work fine, any reason I shouldn't use it?!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    No reason
    left the forum March 2023
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    cool, what wheel is it?

I have an older mavic aksium that looks like it might take an 11spd shimano cassette
  • harkmeadow
    Its a 10spd ITM wheel, just a cheap thing, definitely not a 11 spd hub though. Point is though that the 10spd cassette fits the 11spd groupset.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Since shifting off the edge of the cassette or anything isn't going to cause you to crash on a turbo, if it works, it works.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Harkmeadow wrote:
    Its a 10spd ITM wheel, just a cheap thing, definitely not a 11 spd hub though. Point is though that the 10spd cassette fits the 11spd groupset.

Previously I thought you had an 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub. Now you're suggesting that you have a 10 speed cassette working with an 11 speed setup.

Which is it?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It should index OK but you may hit problems when you accidently go for the 11th gear. :wink:
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    ah, i misunderstood, thought you had an 11spd cassette on a 10spd hub

"The width of the sprockets is the same as on a 10-speed system, but they are fractionally closer together"
    (Plus there's an extra sprocket obviously)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Its the narrower 11sp chain that allows it to work, makes indexing slightly more tolerant, just lock out rear mech, if anyone is going to use this on the road.
  • harkmeadow
    Yep' I just avoid the extremes of the casette. Result though as save messing around with pose meters etc :)