Swalbe tyre help

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a set of wheels and they come with swalbe tyres.

One is fat albert then says trail star, evolution and snakeskin in 3 boxes next to the fat albert plus it says front as a front specific.

the other is a rocket ron with pace star in between the wording in a star. also snake skin sign. Should this not have the 3 boxes next to it. this has no boxes and no markings apart from directional arrows. Is this an OEM tyre?

Im not well up on swalbe tyres and a bit puzzled, have I got on good tyre and one plastic tyre? Does any one know about them?

cheers

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Trailstar is stickier but wont last as long, Pacestar is harder, better rolling resistance but less grip.

Fat Albert is chunkier, more grip, more rolling resistance, Rocket Ron has a much shallower tread so faster and less grip.

Sounds like a good set up to me. Stick with it.

Its the 'Performance' Schwalbe tyres which are the hard, plasticky, scared of water ones which you want to avoid.

Oh and Snakeskin just means it has stronger sidewalls so a little bit heavier but much more resistant to tears and can be run tubeless without them flopping over when running low pressures.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good luck. I doubt even Schwalbe know what it all means.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lbalony
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Trailstar is stickier but wont last as long, Pacestar is harder, better rolling resistance but less grip.

Fat Albert is chunkier, more grip, more rolling resistance, Rocket Ron has a much shallower tread so faster and less grip.

Sounds like a good set up to me. Stick with it.

Its the 'Performance' Schwalbe tyres which are the hard, plasticky, scared of water ones which you want to avoid.

Oh and Snakeskin just means it has stronger sidewalls so a little bit heavier but much more resistant to tears and can be run tubeless without them flopping over when running low pressures.

Thanks good help
  • lbalony
    cooldad wrote:
    Good luck. I doubt even Schwalbe know what it all means.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/

Exactly what I thought! Cant even find the tpi's on the website. Going to run them as a freebie on my new wheels so no loss
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The ones with the 3 boxes are newer - 2013 onwards.

If it's just a Pace Star one then it's exactly the same tyre, just a 2011/12 version. Before that they were the same carcass with a 'Triple Nano' compound, which was similar to Pace Star, they had grey beads and weren't officially tubeless ready, but worked better on certain rims than the newer ones which are tubeless ready!

Performance ones are all ORC compound, not Pace Star/Trail Star/Vert Star/Gate Star.

You have the top tyres they do, they're c£35 each from Germany, so worth having.

WGAS about the TPI!? I'm fairly confident they're 127.
  • lbalony
    njee20 wrote:
    The ones with the 3 boxes are newer - 2013 onwards.

If it's just a Pace Star one then it's exactly the same tyre, just a 2011/12 version. Before that they were the same carcass with a 'Triple Nano' compound, which was similar to Pace Star, they had grey beads and weren't officially tubeless ready, but worked better on certain rims than the newer ones which are tubeless ready!

Performance ones are all ORC compound, not Pace Star/Trail Star/Vert Star/Gate Star.

You have the top tyres they do, they're c£35 each from Germany, so worth having.

WGAS about the TPI!? I'm fairly confident they're 127.

Great help & reassuring cheers