Alternatives to Rapha Neoprene overshoes?

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has a good alternative to the Rapha Neoprene overshoes? I got a pair cheap from an ex team rider and have been using them all winter. Really impressed with the quality and performance in keeping my feet warm and dry.

I had an off this week and there is now a gaping hole in the right one so ideally need a new pair, but I don't really want to pay the £55 for a new set. Any ideas on overshoes that have the same quality/performance that don't cost an arm + a leg?

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have Pearl Izumi ones with a solid velcro fastner at the back and cant fault them.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Prendas Aquatex for £30.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Save the money for sunglasses, winters over.
  • mitchgixer6
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Thinking ahead for next year mate and hoping to pick a pair up with money off. I already have sunglasses thanks, been using them all winter.
  • Will Rapha repair them?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I've got some great BBB ones and they've served well for a few seasons.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • mitchgixer6
    Will Rapha repair them?

Good point. I'll ask the question.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Northwave fighter or h2o extreme. Great at keeping your feet warm and made from a decent thickness of neoprene too. Think they are around the £20 - £25 mark from Wiggle or CRC.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm a big fan of my Endura Road overshoes - £20 from Ribble.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Castelli Diliuvio, or at least I think that's how it's spellt :P They've served me well all winter :D
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    PRO NPU Tarmac, mine are on their third winter and other than a few very minor cosmetic scuffs are showing no sign of wear. They're a bit of a bu66er to get on, but are tough enough to get heavy handed with.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    BBB, Endura and Planet-X make decent, budget neoprene covers.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    IrishMac wrote:
    Castelli Diliuvio, or at least I think that's how it's spellt :P They've served me well all winter :D
    +1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    MattC59 wrote:
    PRO NPU Tarmac, mine are on their third winter and other than a few very minor cosmetic scuffs are showing no sign of wear. They're a bit of a bu66er to get on, but are tough enough to get heavy handed with.
    +1

I just leave mine on the shoes, except than when they need washing.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Very happy with Endura neoprene overshoes. Work well, good value.
  • IrishMac wrote:

I've been looking at these, how do they hold up when it's wet? And, are they nice & toasty when teamed with the right socks?
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    I quite liked the Rapha overshoes having got them a couple of years back in the sale, however they didnt do it for me in the worst of the weather. Rapha (understandably imo) dont offer repairs on overshoes.

Been using BBB artic overshoes this winter and they are a fabulous piece of kit. If I am honest I am a bit of a clothes snob so hadnt innitially considered BBB which with hindsight was ridiculous.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I've had some Diluvio 16's this winter and though they have worked well at keeping my feet warm. Big down side is that they are fragile. Cleats will rip them easily and you can easily rip/fray with some crank rub.

Would I recommend them? If it was for just one winter then yes as would other club members.

I've heard good things about the Prendas ones but never tried.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    I've a pair of BBB from here after my Endura zips gave up on me:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... bbazosh227

Could go a size smaller but they keep my feet dry and warm except for the trickle that runs down from my ankles...hence the size smaller suggestion.
  • mitchgixer6
    Well I emailed Rapha and explained I ripped them in a crash. I've to send them back for repair via the freepost service. I'll wait and see if they charge for the repair.

Thanks for all the replies, plenty there to research!
  • Neoprene overshoes are neoprene overshoes. Anyone spending more than a tenner on them should be shot!

Buy a pair of PX oshoes and for the cold, buy a pair of warm socks and a cheap pair of windproof (thin), overshoes to put under your cheap neo overshoes.
  • Neoprene overshoes are neoprene overshoes. Anyone spending more than a tenner on them should be shot!

Buy a pair of PX oshoes and for the cold, buy a pair of warm socks and a cheap pair of windproof (thin), overshoes to put under your cheap neo overshoes.

All the style of clown shoes.

I've got Assos and Prendas and never even give my feet a 2nd thought in winter.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

All the style of clown shoes.

I've got Assos and Prendas and never even give my feet a 2nd thought in winter.

I wear wetsuits a lot. For water sports before you ask :D . I pay lots of money for good wetsuits coz they have blind stitched seams, fluid welded seams blah blah blah....but they do the job of keeping water trapped between the neoprene and the skin and keeping it warm.

Cycling overshoes aren't designed to be worn next to the skin, nor are completely sealed, hence they are generally relying on neoprenes fairly good ability to block out wind. I fail to see how one piece of neoprene is so much better in these terms than another.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Neoprene overshoes are neoprene overshoes. Anyone spending more than a tenner on them should be shot!

There is more to overshoes than their material. You might as well say that a Colnago Master is much the same as an Argos steel FS MTB because they are both made of the same material.

But I'd agree that there is a limit to what it is worth paying. But there is much better than just the PX overshoes out there even if they are very good value.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Neoprene overshoes are neoprene overshoes. Anyone spending more than a tenner on them should be shot!

There is more to overshoes than their material. You might as well say that a Colnago Master is much the same as an Argos steel FS MTB because they are both made of the same material.

But I'd agree that there is a limit to what it is worth paying. But there is much better than just the PX overshoes out there even if they are very good value.

Maybe I need to read up more on cutting edge winter boot technology.

What else is there to overshoes then other than the thickness of the neoprene? Quality of the zip perhaps. Yes.

But I agree with you- there's only so far you can go with neoprene technology in the realms of a cycling overshoe.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

What else is there to overshoes then other than the thickness of the neoprene? Quality of the zip perhaps. Yes.

Quality of zip, stitching, welded seams or not, fit (the Velcor'd PX ones are far less effective than the likes of BBB for keeping water out), how the sole area is designed (some last five minutes, some months), outer surface finish (a smooth exterior surface can be repaired with puncture glue and patches, fabric surfaces cannot), ease of removal. I could probably come up with more.

If you don't think there is any difference between overshoes then you probably haven't tried many. I've only tried 3 and they were all wildly different.
    Faster than a tent.......