Shimano 11 Spd Ultegra 6800 Cassette 11-32 short cage rear

dfawatts
dfawatts Posts: 753
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, what are the forum's thoughts on the new Shimano 11 Spd Ultegra 6800 Cassette 11-32 working with a standard short cage rear mech? My thoughts are that as long as I don't go for 53/32 then I should be absolutely fine. Any other opinions?
Racing Team = Team VeloViewer
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/302591/

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... _road.html
    Model Number RD-6800
    Series ULTEGRA
    Cassette Compatibility CS-6800
    Maximum Sprocket 28T/12T
    Minimum Sprocket 23T/11T
    Maximum Front Difference 16T
    Total Capacity 33T

Do the maths and you'll be able to find out for yourself.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Maximum Sprocket 28T/12T
    Minimum Sprocket 23T/11T

You may get it working with a longer b screw, but to be honest I'd just suck it up and get the GS mech
  • dfawatts
    Thanks both. I've seen the specs but can only think Shimano is trying to protect riders who habitually cross the chain. I can't see that a longer mech makes any difference at all other than allowing for a longer chain, which might help those riders who like to ride 53-32.

The b screw in the 6800 is massive and on my 25 cassette isn't screwed in at all.

I think I'll try it and see how it goes. I'll post back what happens.
  • dfawatts
    Bottled it, slightly, and ordered the GS mech and another chain. I will try with the SS first and longer chain. If this works then the GS will probably go back to the shop un-opened.

A 39-32 should be around 33 inches which is a little bit lower than I had on my old Campag mountain setup with a 36-29. Experience tells me that there's in nothing out there that I can't get up with that.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    [quote="dfawatts"I can't see that a longer mech makes any difference at all other than allowing for a longer chain[/quote]

That's correct. What I'm wondering, is does the GS mech just have a longer cage, or is it also configured slightly differently to clear bigger sprockets?

If the former, then the SS would also be fine with a 32t provided the chain capacity was not exceeded.
  • dfawatts
    The 11-32 cassette arrived the other day so I thought I would put it on and see what happens. The good news is that it works absolutely fine with the SS rear mech. I kept the same chain and the only gear that I can't get it into is 53-32 but then why would anyone ever do this because crossing chains is never a good idea. I have only tried this gear on the bike stand and it didn't look like it would end well so I stopped before it went too far. 52-28 is fine but I wouldn't even use that.

Just to confirm, the 6800 11 speed 11-32 cassette is working just great with a short mech for all but 53-32. No other modifications were made. No chain length adjustments and no altering the b-screw. This is on a Giant TCR Advanced. It already seems to have a good length gear hanger but there is no risk of the jockey wheel bumping into the ridiculously massive 32 sprocket.

This seems such a good cassette that I can imagine putting the 25-11 back on apart from for racing.

I have a spare GS rear mech and chain now but probably useful things to keep in the cupboard.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dfawatts wrote:
    The 11-32 cassette arrived the other day so I thought I would put it on and see what happens. The good news is that it works absolutely fine with the SS rear mech. I kept the same chain and the only gear that I can't get it into is 53-32 but then why would anyone ever do this because crossing chains is never a good idea. I have only tried this gear on the bike stand and it didn't look like it would end well so I stopped before it went too far. 52-28 is fine but I wouldn't even use that.

Just to confirm, the 6800 11 speed 11-32 cassette is working just great with a short mech for all but 53-32. No other modifications were made. No chain length adjustments and no altering the b-screw. This is on a Giant TCR Advanced. It already seems to have a good length gear hanger but there is no risk of the jockey wheel bumping into the ridiculously massive 32 sprocket.

This seems such a good cassette that I can imagine putting the 25-11 back on apart from for racing.

I have a spare GS rear mech and chain now but probably useful things to keep in the cupboard.

Whilst I'm pleased for you - but I think it's pretty risky. I try not to ever cross my chain up but, occasionally, when I'm tired, I find I absent-mindedly do. From what I've seen testing something similar, when over-stretched, the RD locks up horribly - I think it would make a terrible mess if that happened on a ride.

If you have the GS and chain, why wouldn't you use it
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH