Newbie Commuter Advice

TheUKProphet
TheUKProphet Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting out of my car and onto a bike for the next few months for the journey to and from work.

Before I commit to an expensive purchase I want to pick up something pretty cheap just to give it a try and make sure I can commit to it.

I'm looking for a hybrid and from what I've seen locally I can pick up either a Carrera Subway 1 or a Claude Butler Urban 300, both are under £100, is one better than the other or will both be ok for what I need it for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    How far is your commute? Both are bargain basement bikes so will be pretty terrrible but will likely serve their purpose if their expected lifetime is limited and the commute short.
  • The commute is only about 10k. It will only be used really for that and the occasional weekend ride with my young son.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The subway is a good solid bike, far from bargain basement, it uses the same frame as the £600 Fury MTB and the 8 speed bikes use the same formula wheels as some £600 bikes - not sure where Mark Hewitt gets his erroneous opinion from. It is however somewhat 'sturdy' great for reliability, less good for hills.

If you have any mechanical inclination a good used bike is always better value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Carrera Subway? I was looking at those ones as a bike to ride around at lunchtimes, looked decent enough.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now
    Carrera Subway? snip, looked decent enough.
    Then
    bargain basement bikes snip terrible snip lifetime is limited

Changed tune much?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • my wife used a subway for 3 years until it was nicked... needed minimal servicing and as i recall never let her down. her commute is only 4.5 miles each way but she loved the lil thing as it was so reliable. not the lightest but for the price.... i'd say hard to beat ;)