New bike Boardman / Sunn/ Scott Help !!

Pacha
Pacha Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, this is my first post and I know these questions come up all the time, ( sorry)

Ok a little about myself I was also given a cheapy MTB with zoom front shocks & grip shifts , its hard work but I have had fun on it and I now need/want to move onto a better bike, I bike twice a week, I do a lot of bridle ways, farm tracks, some roads, and a few trail centres, nothing to serious, have quite a lot of short steep hills so want something that pedals well up a hill, so nothing heavy and I like going down hill fast !
I am looking for a decent hardtail bike, that will be a nice fun all rounder, and not really looking to upgrade its parts, so would like decent components to begin with, oh and I am female, after a lot of looking and reading and picking peoples brains, I felt a Boardman MTB would be my best bet, as I am a member of British Cycling so get 10% of, and Halfords are always doing deals which would bring the price down a fair bit. but then I got told by a couple of people ' no don't go Halfords, the Boardman's are still made by them and the frames are no good' ?? is that true,

anyway here's the bikes I am interested in
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
would the gears be ok for going up the hills ?

I came across Sunn , I thought they seemed good ( but what do I know :? ) cannot find anything about them,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sunn ... rod115616#

and now been told that these are a good buy and as good as the Boardman, yet I thought the Boardman had better components ??
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec055689

heck I am so now confused.... I just want a nice quality decent bike would prefer a 27.5 but that would not be the deciding factor and my budget is around £750 so if anyone wants to suggest other options, please do, and thank you for reading this

Comments

• gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Boardman for me, better spec. Don't worry about the frames, they are fine.
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Sunn any day; better fork and brakes than the boardman, and the Scott is very race orientated so not great if you want an all rounder
  • SC2
    SC2 Posts: 1
    I have the Boardman, rides very smoothly and climbs well.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Halfords do not make Boardmans they simply have the rights to sell them in there shops. There were a few cases of the full sussers cracking in I think 2011 but that seems to have been a bad batch. The Boardman would be the lightest with very good kit but the fork is in 2nd place.

The Sunn is steel 4130 steel which is the lowest spec of steel that is acceptable for a bike but it will be at least a couple of pounds heavier than an Alu framed bike. The fork is the best of the 3 with decent kit.

The Scott isnt a brilliant spec the fork is a bit nasty for that price level.

Its between the Sunn or the Boardman depends if you want a better fork or a lighter bike.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Pacha wrote:
    . but then I got told by a couple of people ' no don't go Halfords, the Boardman's are still made by them and the frames are no good' ?? is that true,

No, on both counts. It's just muppets talking codsh*t.
  • Pacha
    Thank you for the replys, yes I kind of got that feeling about the Halfords talk, and this was from someone that works at one of the bike chain stores.... maybe as they do not sell the Boardmans they will call them kind of thing, funny enough they sell the Scott ;)

is there much difference between the forks on the Sunn & Boardman, also I cannot find much about Sunn bikes, not even their own web site but I gather they are a French company, I just wonder what kind of customer care they give, if any
    also can anyone give me some advice on both of these bikes gears ? am wondering if I can still climb hills with no granny ring :)

and I am guessing this might be a better choice as its alloy ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sunn ... prod115618 but getter more expensive ... I never thought buying a bike could be so difficult !

thanks again for the advice
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Make sure the Sunn is in stock CRC have a naughty habit of offering big discounts when there is only one in stock in small painted pink with my little pony stickers
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Pacha
    stubs wrote:
    Make sure the Sunn is in stock CRC have a naughty habit of offering big discounts when there is only one in stock in small painted pink with my little pony stickers

lol, it can be a Barbie bike then lol.. but yes I hear what your saying, thanks :)
  • Kowalski675
    Pacha wrote:
    Thank you for the replys, yes I kind of got that feeling about the Halfords talk, and this was from someone that works at one of the bike chain stores.... maybe as they do not sell the Boardmans they will call them kind of thing, funny enough they sell the Scott ;)

Well, there's a coincidence ;)
  • gazcarsf1
    Off topic but, What about a ragley Marley from crc, they are great bikes, my bud has one and loves it. He has no problems with it and it climbs great as well!!
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    Have you looked at the Grand Canyon although it is a 29er but got good spec on it for price
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XC 30 and Recon Gold are very similar - same damping and spring tech, just that the Recon is slightly stiffer (but heavier).
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    The XC 30 and Recon Gold are very similar - same damping and spring tech, just that the Recon is slightly stiffer (but heavier).

Heavier despite having ally stanchions, compared to the XC's steel stanchions? Seems unlikely. Rockshox' own claimed weights have the Recon 400g lighter.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a an xc gold so is alloy.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    It's a an xc gold so is alloy.

Ah, so it is. My mistake.
  • gazcarsf1
    supersonic wrote:
    Thought those recon gold were solo air shox, and the xc were spring forks!!!!
    How much for that!!!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Thought those recon gold were solo air shox, and the xc were spring forks!!!!
    Shox (shocks) or forks, make up your mind!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pacha
    Thanks for all of your reply's and help, the Scott is a no goer, as for a Canyon 29er, I just do not think I would get on with a 29er, I am 5'5' but thanks for the rec, Have looked at the Ragley Marleys, its a bit higher priced and I was not keen on the paint job, but I know a great bike is never a bad colour :) so may look into that one, I think for what I will be doing the forks on the Boardman would do the job, The reason I was keen on the Boardman was that Halfords often have discount codes, was a 10% of bikes last week, combine that with my British Cycling members discount, it made the bike a nice bargain, but then people started to say bad things so then of it me doubts..... hence looking at the Sunn & Scott ...... if anyone else has anything to offer, please do. and thanks again :D
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Don't think you will be dissapointed with the Boardman. Great value bikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    From a bit of googling looks like Sunn went under last year - http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/sunn-b ... ion/014672

Shame as the Kern was a decent bike!
  • Pacha
    Thanks again for the advice, the Sunn bikes are nice but if the company is out of business, not sure what kind of guarantee I am going to get, The Ragley Marley does seem a nice bike too, have googled them and the On Ones seem to get mentioned along side the Ragleys ?? are the company's related or just the bikes so similar ? I am kind of tempted....but maybe the Boardman will be my safest option plus it will work out cheaper with the discounts, they may even let me ride it around the car park before I part with any money !
  • Kowalski675
    Pacha wrote:
    but maybe the Boardman will be my safest option plus it will work out cheaper with the discounts, they may even let me ride it around the car park before I part with any money !

Unfortunately not - at Halfords they'll let you ride it on the shop floor, but not take it outside.