Top weight loss tips

2»

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Not really, as I can be a lot more flexible than any diet can, I don't have to say "I can't eat that I'm on a diet" I eat pretty much what I want just less of it, I don't have to stick to some concocted plan every week. With some stuff like biscuits I was just eating them because they were there this is where the lifestyle change come into it and deciding to not be quite frankly a pig.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    WindyG wrote:
    Not really, as I can be a lot more flexible than any diet can, I don't have to say "I can't eat that I'm on a diet" I eat pretty much what I want just less of it, I don't have to stick to some concocted plan every week. With some stuff like biscuits I was just eating them because they were there this is where the lifestyle change come into it and deciding to not be quite frankly a pig.

I don't think that's any different from what I'm doing - just making different decisions about what to eat.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Exactly, you just broke it down more than I did in your post. And quoting you "Mentally embrace hunger" I couldn't agree more, this is a tough battle to start with.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Top tip - download and use Myfitnesspal

By scanning the barcodes it'll work out and track your calorie intake. Add in the exercise that you are doing and it'll show your daily trend, which in many cases is a bit of an eye opener.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Last year I lost about 3 stone just by cycling. I didn't make any conscious changes to my diet apart from maybe drinking more water. If anything I eat more, but I guess I am burning it off. At the moment I cycle between 200-400km a week, normally as fast as I can manage.

Having said that I have reached the point where I am no longer losing weight despite how much I ride, so I guess I need to change my diet as I do want to lose a bit more.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Last year I lost about 3 stone just by cycling. I didn't make any conscious changes to my diet apart from maybe drinking more water. If anything I eat more, but I guess I am burning it off. At the moment I cycle between 200-400km a week, normally as fast as I can manage.

Having said that I have reached the point where I am no longer losing weight despite how much I ride, so I guess I need to change my diet as I do want to lose a bit more.

Well done, but the second half of your post rings true to me.

I spend a while doing 250-400km a week and I went from 72kg to 76kg as I was hungry all the time. Now I'm closer to 150km a week I'm eating a lot less and I'm losing weight again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Top tip - download and use Myfitnesspal

By scanning the barcodes it'll work out and track your calorie intake. Add in the exercise that you are doing and it'll show your daily trend, which in many cases is a bit of an eye opener.

+1 for this. I lost about three stone last year in six months and it never felt like torture or starving. It's like mini self reward for meeting the target, instant gratification, every day. I put back on about 10lbs towards the end of the year from stopping excerising and Xmas. But once you start recording what your doing daily you stop making the stupid decisions that puts the weight on.

Back following the same plan this year and shifted the 10lbs I put back on around Xmas.

Losing weight is hard as cause and effect are so gradual that excuses are easy to make. But daily tracking of what you should be doing means you can't lie to yourself.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Give blood, thats worth about 750g or amputation, what does your leg weigh?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    ddraver wrote:
    We have to be honest and say that cutting out the booze really does help. there's no point having a salad in place of a bacon sarnie if you chase it with 4 pints of beer. ...

Very good advice. I used to regularly knock back 6-7 pints in a session. But now I barely drink. And I'm 2 stone heavier.

go figure. :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Give blood, thats worth about 750g or amputation, what does your leg weigh?
    Not completely silly - if the internets are to be believed, a donation is worth about 500-750 calories :)
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Top tip - download and use MyfitnesspalBy scanning the barcodes it'll work out and track your calorie intake.
    You could also argue it the other way: don't eat anything that MyFitnessPal can scan! So you can have fruit, veges, meat from the butcher-shop, pints at the pub etc., eating rather like your great-grandparents did (and people were a lot skinnier back then, before processed food).
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Has anyone mentioned stop eating yet?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Contract Aids? they always look pretty thin, so do Heorin addicts.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    Contract Aids? they always look pretty thin, so do Heorin addicts.

:shock: :? :|

** :arrow: **

next post please...
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Have a conversation about dumb diversions, and get filmed by the BBC

Stupidly tell everyone about it and get called a fatty until you lose weight in desperation.

(for the record *I* called him a cyberman....)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    +1 for giving blood. I know it was probably tongue in cheek, but as a cyclist your body is probably more efficient at replacing it. I've been a regular donor since I realized a close friend was getting several pints a week as part of his late stage cancer treatment. I also want the blood banks to be full if I ever come a cropper.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    I have dropped about 20kg from 2010 to 2013, and that started by cycling to work and increasing the distance ridden as it got easier but it wasn't all achieved through cycling / commuting ...

The weight dropped off to start with but then hit a plateau. So I looked at my lifestyle, realised I was eating too much, more than I needed and in places too much of the wrong things (Snickers bars ...), so I made an effort to spend some time monitoring what I ate (didn't make any changes at this point).

Enter myFitnessPal ... recorded everything I ate for about 3 weeks, exercise etc. then looked at the results and figured out where I could make changes.

I spent some time reducing serving sizes, cutting back on the 'I'm bored, where's the snack machine' moments and started to see improvements. Embracing hungry feelings, but not allowing them to persist too long (this is the blood sugar reference too, dip too low and you over compensate, then crash ... there's probably a more scientific explanation!) The intake of calories was consideration, but not a hard rule - it was more about a little self control - mostly at work. AT weekends I tended to be a lot less concerned. My alcohol intake was low, but that had happened anyway with two small kids in the house.

Then in 2012 I started going to the gym, never got on with gyms, but started going with work colleagues at lunch and really enjoyed it. Mixture of activities, but lifted heavy weights, did some cardio & HIIT type stuff. By the end of 2012 I was maintaining a steady 75kg and was very happy. I managed a lunchtime gym session pretty much every working day for 12 months!

I kept this up through to June 2013 when I switched jobs. I still go to the gym, ride further and eat mostly sensible amounts of roughly the right foods.

Ok, long and boring post sorry. I'm hoping to key experiences came through:

- analyse your lifestyle/eating
    - just cycling is not enough (IMO/IME)
    - don't make yourself miserable with ANY changes, they are likely to fail
    - use tools (myfitnesspal, strava, endomondo etc.)
    - find something that works for you, we're all made differently and there's no one size fits all fix

I recently started to look at sits like metaboliceffect.com to try and educate myself in more detail ... jury is out for now.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url