Secure indoor bike storage and shower/changing areas.

xjr41
xjr41 Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Hey all, I'm hoping all you cyclists can help me out with a little market research.
We are attempting to figure out if there is a want or a need for specific secure indoor bicycle parking and maybe showers and a changing area. This is obviously aimed more at the commuting cyclist but anyone can answer, we would be interested to know if it is a service that would actually be used. It would be a massive help if you would be willing to take this quick 6 question survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SV8H7SM

Thanks. Will keep you all updated on the outcome.

Steve.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I ride all the time. I want the best facilities. I would be willing to pay (pricing is key).

That should just about cover it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    ^This
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Location is key - ideally in or near the building you work at.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    t4tomo wrote:

I have excellent indoor storage and changing facilities at my place of work, in the City. Thank you my employer :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    drlodge wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

I have excellent indoor storage and changing facilities at my place of work, in the City. Thank you my employer :D

Likewise, where I work I get to use a locked indoor area (a plant access room but hey) and a shower. A drying room would be the icing on the cake!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    So do I - cycle store, lockers, showers, changing room with heated floor and complementary earbuds. :D

I'd really miss it if I moved jobs.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Few points:

'A small fee' is relative.

I am not sure how much time commuters would have for a long morning coffee stop, but arriving a bit earlier in the summer it may be worth making the time - or just a takeaway. Perhaps a TV with a race on would be nice?

Note that cyclists are coffee snobs, so it has to be 'the good stuff'
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    t4tomo wrote:
    So do I - cycle store, lockers, showers, changing room with heated floor and complementary earbuds. :D
    All of this, plus drying cupboards, workstand, wash station, track pump, assorted tools. Prizes every month for whoever cycles most days and most km, and a package of kit (bib shorts, jerseys, jackets, arm warmers, leg warmers, helmet, overshoes, assorted reflectives). And training rides with the local pro team.
    But you have to provide your own earbuds. :(
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    All of this, plus drying cupboards, workstand, wash station, track pump, assorted tools. Prizes every month for whoever cycles most days and most km, and a package of kit (bib shorts, jerseys, jackets, arm warmers, leg warmers, helmet, overshoes, assorted reflectives). And training rides with the local pro team.
    But you have to provide your own earbuds. :(

Who do you work for?

I'm guessing a bank.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • bobbygloss
    Lancew wrote:
    I'm guessing a bank.
    Nope. Oil service company.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Prizes every month for whoever cycles most days and most km

Sounds like a great motivator - one person wins two prizes every month, everyone else gets diddly squat! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bobbygloss
    :) I didn't give full details.
    You can only win a prize once in each category per year, so there are 12 winners for distance and 12 winners for number of days cycled, plus the overall prizes for the year in each category.
    To get the clothes package, you have to pledge to cycle at least 1000km over the year.
    On the whole, it isn't bad value since it's free.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good luck finding suitable property with affordable rents for this in Central London. You are not the first to explore the idea and of course there's already H2.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693
    Its been looked at many times and the maths never seem to add up to me. Secure bike storage doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for most people. What employers don't realise is that unless you cycle a short distance Copenhagen style, you can't wear work clothes and you arrive sweaty.

Even £2 a day or £10 a week, for a rack, locker and a shower would be £500 a year, which means you may as well join a gym.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was (briefly) considering 2 tier. £10/month for the building and some of those 'D-bar' style locks you get around London or £20 for a cage with a shelf/towel rail.

Includes use of showers and had keycard access.

No idea of costs...just a pie in the sky thought. Slowly expand to have some tools (could be signed out via your pass and billed if not returned), coffee shop, bike shop. somewhere central to the square mile - cheapside, perhaps?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Its been looked at many times and the maths never seem to add up to me. Secure bike storage doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for most people. What employers don't realise is that unless you cycle a short distance Copenhagen style, you can't wear work clothes and you arrive sweaty.

Even £2 a day or £10 a week, for a rack, locker and a shower would be £500 a year, which means you may as well join a gym.

The maths don't add up. I looked into it seriously a few years back with a friend who is a London based commercial surveyor. So hard to find the right property.