Cube GTC Pro Vs Specialized Tarmac Sport

Nobles_
Nobles_ Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I have narrowed my search down to two bike - I have max £1600. I live in Northern Ireland so mail order is coming up with better options.

I'm a newish CC member and started last season on a Carrera TDF and now for this season upgrading to the next level. I'm a Sunday social and not a racer. I believe in value for money. I said to myself I want Carbon, min of 105.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/ ... -bike.html

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/ ... -bike.html

My friend owns the Specialized and I've rode it for 20 mile. Felt great and a far improvement over my bike (of course) however Specialized have skimped a bit on the FD and brakes. Is this due to the frame being SL4 these days?

I have no idea about the cube but the weight and spec are excellent for the money.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    One is unlikely to be inherently better than the other, and the FD and brake spec on the Specialized is not going to be a major concern over the longer term, as both can be changed (Tiagra FD is of no consequence and neither part actually needs changing anyway).

The Spec warranty is good - don't know about the Cube. It might just come down to which colours you like the best.
  • Pinball72
    Pinball72 Posts: 22
    Hi Nobles,

Why dont you go for a 2013 model Cube bike. Loads of great deals to be had now and more or less same spec as this years models.

Cube Agree GTC Pro Compact Road Bike £999.99 saving you £400 at Formby cycles with free delivery!!
  • Pauld100
    Pauld100 Posts: 31
    I recently bought a Cube GTC Pro 2013 - down to under £1000 from £1400 new, and would recommend it (this my second bike upgrading from a cheap Merlin starter bike).

The only thing to be aware of is that the cassette is a 12-30 on the back which isn't mentioned in the online specs, which coupled with a compact chainset might limit your top-end speed on descents, but is a nice to have on steeper climbs!

My other bike is a standard double (53/39) with a 12-27 cassette, and I have found it slightly harder to get the same top speeds on down hills (but much easier climbing), but this might be down to my cadence limits or even partly the lower weight as well (the bike is just over 8kg compared to 10-12kg on my old one).

Looks great in the flesh though - and the 2013 has a slightly better spec than the new model.
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    Cube gtc pro 2013 £929.
  • Is going down hill at max speed really a concern for the every day non racer?
    I have a compact 12-25 at the back and never thought I'd love to go quicker than 40mph downhill?!
    On the other hand unless your living in the peaks a 30 seems a little extreme but again that depends in fitness and geographical location.
  • Pauld100
    Pauld100 Posts: 31
    I'm no racer, just have little sense! but no idea what the op intends to use it for, and its one of the points I've noticed, so worth mentioning, along with the 30 tooth gear. I quite like having it there, useful for steeper climbs
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Take a look at Slane Cycles: they often have previous years' bikes at good prices, and they sell much more interesting brands.
    Red bikes are the fastest.