just ordered rs recon gold rl solo air

dpn1983
dpn1983 Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
After a few days of looking for used forks with no joy I ended up buying a set of these in white, they are 2013 model with push lock I paid £243 my budget was 200 so I'm a bit over and now I'm gonna get it in the ear from my never ending moaning gf in the morning, anyway what's everyone's views on these forks, I hope I've made the right decision, they are going to replace surtour xcm on my marin bobcat

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    They are good mid range forks, and easy to adjust. I have recon golds on my XC MTB and they handle throwing my 100kg of weight round single track at speed fine as well as the rougher stuff.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very good forks. I would bin the pushloc though, it will fall apart soon enough anyway.
    Tell her that used forks would have needed a service so you actually saved money.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    And that you may as well buy a dropper with the money saved....
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I just hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it !!
  • dpn1983
    I usually tell her things cost less but I had to use her card.to pay lol, I didn't really want the pushlock but there wasn't a option to not have it, will I have to buy a turnkey or anything else to replace it,
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Put the pushloc on ebay someone will buy it they are a bit fragile. Some people just take the compression damper out and fit a blank top cap you can buy from a Rockshox dealer. Thinking of doing the same on my SIDs as I never use it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just remove the lever and cable. This leaves you with some compression damping but no adjustment or lock out.
    You can remove the damper and unhook the return spring which then leaves you with compression adjustment from nothing up to lockout.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    or use a very short piece of gear cable and a barrel adjuster on the top cap. Gives you about 1/3 of the range of adjustment, depending on the size of your adjuster.
  • dpn1983
    Could I put a turn key on it so I can adjust the amount of lock, if so how much would this cost
  • rockmonkeysc
    Turn key is a lower spec damper. Just unhook the spring and you have a fully adjustable RL damper.
  • dpn1983
    Thanks for the info, one last thing, how easy or hard is it to change the travel from 100mm to 120 mm, I have no experience what so ever in suspension so if it is a hard job I will get someone else to do it, does anyone know of anybody in essex who could do it, thanks
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its not a big job to change travel but it deffo isnt a novice job. A shop will probably charge you 20 or 30 quid.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    Its not too difficult but not impossible to get wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Poploc lever can be replaced with an old friction thumb shifter which are about as robust as you can get!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dpn1983
    Went on my first ride today with new forks fitted and they feel so much better then the surtour crap what was originally on the bike well worth the £243 I paid, next upgrades better hydraulics and better groupset, thinking about going to double chainsaw instead of the triple, looks like this is going to be another expensive intrest I have lol
  • dpn1983
    CHAINSET NOT CHAINSAW LOL, poxy predictive text
  • rockmonkeysc
    Double chainsaw would be handy for clearing fallen trees