Setting up adjustable dropouts

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently bought a Voodoo Bizango 29er, which has adjustable rear dropouts - see attached photo.

I've built the bike up myself, as I don't trust the clowns in Halfrauds. Does anyone know what the correct procedure is for setting these up? What are the correct steps? What torque settings should be used? How should I decide how far back/forward the rear axle should be?

At the moment the wheel isn't quite straight in the frame - it's a bit close to the left hand chain stay behind the bottom bracket.

Any help/guidance/suggestions appreciated. There's nothing in the bike manual (just generic stuff like "Use a helmet when you ride" etc.) and nothing in Zinn and the Art. Seems to be an unusual feature.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Think you may have shot yourself in the foot there.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Assymetrical chain stays?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfrauds?
    Clowns? Clowns are scary. Just look at Gazlar.
    I'm out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andyeb

Why? I prefer to do my own bike maintenance and now is a good time to learn how to setup and maintain this part of my new bike.

I don't believe in taking bikes back to the bike shop every time there's a minor problem. And I'm certainly not taking it back to Halfords! :lol:
  • andyeb

Not entirely sure - but it's a Voodoo Bizango, just like the one in your sig.
  • Chunkers1980
    andyeb wrote:

Why? I prefer to do my own bike maintenance and now is a good time to learn how to setup and maintain this part of my new bike.

I don't believe in taking bikes back to the bike shop every time there's a minor problem. And I'm certainly not taking it back to Halfords! :lol:

Because they would have been the ones to ask (not do, nessesarily) as they will have all the technical info or know where to get it from.
  • andyeb
    andyeb wrote:

Because they would have been the ones to ask (not do, nessesarily) as they will have all the technical info or know where to get it from.

I think that would be the case with any LBS. But at Halfords wouldn't I just get a strange look and a shrug? I guess there's no harm in asking, as I need to take the shrader inner tube back they sold me with the bike exchanged for a presta :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    Well, no, because they are the stockist for that make of cycle, so will have access to the info.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    andyeb wrote:

Not entirely sure - but it's a Voodoo Bizango, just like the one in your sig.

I'm not looking at mine so can't help you, but unless you have messed about with the drop outs that will probably be the answer.

The simple method is to turn them in or out the same distance and then use the locknut to secure, but unless you are converting to SS there is no real point messing with them at all.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Is it me or does one of those bolts look to be rounding off ?