105 rear derailleur adjustment

wilko21
wilko21 Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi All,

I have been having a few issues with gear changes from high to low. I have only ridden about 80kms on the bike so its still fairly new.

Basically, the changes are fine going down the cassette (big ring to small ring) but on the way back up, i can shift 1 gear, then the next one doesnt 'catch' (so i get a clicking sound as if the chain is trying to move but cant) and the only way to solve it is to go up another change, so essentially im missing out a gear (round about the 3rd smallest) on the cassette on the changes from small to big.

I messed around with the limit screws but that hasnt solved the problem. I think the cable may need re-tensioned but im not sure (also not sure if this would constitute a barrel adjustment?), any other quick fixes i could try? I dont mind taking it to a shop to get someone to look at it, but id rather have a stab at it myself first.

Thanks,

Brendan

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sounds like your cable has stretched as you can expect on a new bike. This will have messed up the indexing so you need toincrease the cable tension by winding the barrel adjuster out (anticlockwise) on the rear mech. Try half a turn at a time then check your changing each time til the shifting is smooth.

However if you fiddled with the limit screws you may have to start from scratch. Watch this video fot guidance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ
  • wilko21
    wilko21 Posts: 6
    Thanks Arlo, will give that a bash tonight!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,722
    Limit screws only affect the limits of movement at either extreme. If you have loosened either of them off your chain may travel too far and come off at one end or the other. Make sure you get them right, as I would hope the video will show.