Upgrades to Cannondale Synapse

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok, need some thoughts from you all.

I have a Cannondale Synapse Ally (Shimano groupset tiagra/105/powermeter cranks), with some Mavic’s Ksyrium Elite’s which I use all year round for a bit of commuting but mostly club and training rides and I just love it. I do over 1000km’s a month, and now I’m fit enough I’m going to try racing (road racing, closed circuit, crits etc) this year.

With that in mind, I wondered about getting a bike which was more race orientated in geometry than the ‘relaxed’ position of the Synapse. I see my options as being:

1. Race with my current bike, and don’t spend any money (save it for crash and wear and tear repairs!)

2. look at getting a new/secondhand frameset such as a CAAD10 ally frame, or a Supersix Carbon, or other and upgrade my bike to new frameset. I’d like to use my BB30 based PM on the new frame. Over time I could rebuild up my Synapse using spares when budget allows – I already have spare wheels, brake calipers, crank, front + rear dr’s.

3. Keep my current Synapse, and buy the best CAAD10 I can afford and race that on my current wheels instead, changing the PM when needed. Means I then have a two bike setup.

I have a budget of £1300-1500 for either a new bike (poss without wheels) or a frameset.

My questions are simple.

What difference would I notice with a CAAD10 / supersix frameset over my Synapse for racing?
The difference in weight between a CAAD10 ally, and a supersix frame is negligible but the supersix is a lot more expensive. Is carbon any better in other ways? If I could afford it should I even look at an older Supersix evo frame?
I’m a bit fixated on Cannondale, as I really get on with my current bike. Any other suggestions of a bike to go racing with?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You don't need a race bike to do well at racing. Look at Sparticus who rides a more relaxed geo in the Classics. Since it is your first year why not just ride your bike and see how you get on? If you find yourself racing up the categories and loving every minute then you can review your options but you may well just decide that racing isn't for you and pseudo racing (sportives) are better, in which case the Synapse will do nicely.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    You could try dropping the stem a few spacers and see how that feels
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Ribble were advertising their R872 Race bike for £1069 with full 105 on Facebook yesterday. Short term offer.

Wont be the best wheels but swap them with those on your Synapse....

Not got the same name as Cannondale but a whole bike for your budget?