Charlie Walsh

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Head of the Australian Track Team 1980-2000.

Quite a long read this one but probably worth it if you have some spare time:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/refle ... lie-walsh/
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/03/the-h ... ld-medals/

Turns out this guy had no compassion for humans. No respect for him or other coaches who are too driven by success, box-ticking and numbers to appreciate the human cost to their actions. A total disgrace.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• The following year went sour when three days out from the World Championships I was cut from the team. I had just told Charlie that my road bike had been stolen from the track. He paused for a moment while he was changing a chain ring on a track bike, then continued, stating that without a rode bike I can’t train, or warm up, so I’m no use to the team. A hard one to take as a 19 year old after a 10 month build up.

:lol: :x :oops: :shock:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • This stuff is absolutely insane!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    :shock:
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The cost to the human is often forgotten in the quest for success, be in athletes or businessmen. Look at that story about Stannard with the rain coat or teams "forcing" non leaders to take epo in the 1990's
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sounds like a monumental bell end.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    sjmclean wrote:
    The cost to the human is often forgotten in the quest for success, be in athletes or businessmen. Look at that story about Stannard with the rain coat or teams "forcing" non leaders to take epo in the 1990's

Let me get this right. You're comparing a message from the team bus to tell the DS to get Stan to put on his rain jacket to be more aero - of which he took absolutely zero notice anyway - with teams forcing riders to take EPO...?

Balance, much?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Don't be naive, RR - there's strong evidence to suggest not putting your rain cape on - and other disobedient acts - leads to hard drugs: I've definitely seen pictures of confirmed dopers Landis, Armstrong, DI Luca, etc in bad conditions without capes on...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Don't be naive, RR - there's strong evidence to suggest not putting your rain cape on - and other disobedient acts - leads to hard drugs: I've definitely seen pictures of confirmed dopers Landis, Armstrong, DI Luca, etc in bad conditions without capes on...

Sheesh OCDP....you''d have thought I'd have learnt by now...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    As Charlie Walsh wouldn't say, I'll forgive you this time.
    And as Derek Tutu nearly says in the article, if we allow this sort of poor thinking to go on unchallenged, we're as bad as murderers and Hitler.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sjmclean wrote:

Let me get this right. You're comparing a message from the team bus to tell the DS to get Stan to put on his rain jacket to be more aero - of which he took absolutely zero notice anyway - with teams forcing riders to take EPO...?

Balance, much?

Not at all, it was different examples. Like when I said athletes and businessmen.

That's the benefit of listing things.

But lets say he took off his coat, his core temp dropped below 35oC, he caught hypothermia, collapsed on the side of the road and had to be resuscitated with CPR? That would be a pretty bad, outcome.

I wasn't comparing them, I was listing situations where teams have put the human cost below the victory.

Understand, much?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Bully. Pure and simple.
    Correlation is not causation.