Implications of shifter crash damage

Brizzler
Brizzler Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Road general
Due to a minor crash thansk to a pot hole hidden by a massive, murky puddle it turns out I have a significantly cracked SRAM Force shifter. It still works just fine, both braking and shifting, and as the damage is hidden by the rubber boot after adjusting the position I can't say I notice anything when riding. But pull back the hood... it's not a pretty sight:

hyf1.jpg

I'm now looking for opinions and advice on what the implications of this damage are, specifically in terms of safety and the liklihood of sudden, catastrophic failure. How urgently do I need to replace the shifter(s)?
Thanks!

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Put any stress on that shifter at any stage and you are likely to be chewing some tarmac in my opinion. Not worth the risk!
  • I'd replace it as soon as possible. Riding on the hoods, plus any bumpy roads and you'll be over the bars.Worth contacting SRAM as their customer service is good in my experience, and they may replace them for you even if it is outside the scope of warranty.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    And just to provide an alternative opinion - the handlebar clamp band connects to the bolt still principally in the main body of the shifter, with the break just above it. Investigate whether the crackline extends to the bolt hole or passes above it. The cables, tape and rubber hood will hold the fractured piece in place - generally - so as long as the bolt holds tight it should be fine. If the crackline extends through the bolt hole then I suspect it would be more prone to movement through climbing on the hoods and braking so has more potential to fail sooner. However, I would anticipate a gradual loosening than a sudden one.

Personally I would still replace it, but if the investigation shows it to be reasonably secure it would not stop me riding it in the short term until a replacement was sourced.
  • Brizzler
    Brizzler Posts: 43
    Thanks for the advice!

Looks like I should just replace them as soon as I can manage. Kinda what I suspected, if I'm honest, but I was faintly hoping I might get away with postponing doing so or be able to find parts for a repair... In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a well-priced replacement.

Cheers!
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    Me-109 wrote:
    And just to provide an alternative opinion - the handlebar clamp band connects to the bolt still principally in the main body of the shifter, with the break just above it. Investigate whether the crackline extends to the bolt hole or passes above it. The cables, tape and rubber hood will hold the fractured piece in place - generally - so as long as the bolt holds tight it should be fine. If the crackline extends through the bolt hole then I suspect it would be more prone to movement through climbing on the hoods and braking so has more potential to fail sooner. However, I would anticipate a gradual loosening than a sudden one.

Personally I would still replace it, but if the investigation shows it to be reasonably secure it would not stop me riding it in the short term until a replacement was sourced.

I'd agree with this one. I'd be tempted to cut a 'V' into the crack and fill with a good quality epoxy, then a few well placed carbon tows bonded on top (& below if possible) across the crack, and it'd last easily long enough till a replacement was found, the only challenge would be making sure you got a good bond by prep'ing the plastic.