Wish me luck (update with pics)...

PerformingMonkey
PerformingMonkey Posts: 218
edited March 2014 in Workshop
New wheels and groupset are here for the Allez.

Going to attempt the process of stripping and then fitting myself with the help of my neighbour. Certainly glad the wife bought me a Park Tool stand for Christmas and I picked up a Jobsworth toolkit from Planet X.

Comments

• I've just upgraded my daughter's Allez from 2300 to 105, the only thing I didn't do was face the bottom bracket shell, took it to the LBS to do that as can't justify buying the facing tool. I've got the Park Blue Book but how to guides on the park website are really good. You'll be fine if you take it steady and with cables and outers measure twice, cut once!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've just upgraded my daughter's Allez from 2300 to 105, the only thing I didn't do was face the bottom bracket shell, took it to the LBS to do that as can't justify buying the facing tool. I've got the Park Blue Book but how to guides on the park website are really good. You'll be fine if you take it steady and with cables and outers measure twice, cut once!

And don't cut the outer with the cable inside it!
  • keef66 wrote:
    I've just upgraded my daughter's Allez from 2300 to 105, the only thing I didn't do was face the bottom bracket shell, took it to the LBS to do that as can't justify buying the facing tool. I've got the Park Blue Book but how to guides on the park website are really good. You'll be fine if you take it steady and with cables and outers measure twice, cut once!

And don't cut the outer with the cable inside it!

Now that I have done, only once though!
  • I've just upgraded my daughter's Allez from 2300 to 105, the only thing I didn't do was face the bottom bracket shell, took it to the LBS to do that as can't justify buying the facing tool. I've got the Park Blue Book but how to guides on the park website are really good. You'll be fine if you take it steady and with cables and outers measure twice, cut once!

I am doing exactly the same upgrade. hadn't thought I would need to do any facing but I will bear that in mind. Thanks.

I am doing exactly the same upgrade. hadn't thought I would need to do any facing but I will bear that in mind. Thanks.

Planet X £299 deal?

The 2300 bb is a square taper cartridge bearing and so it's unlikely the bb shell has been squared off. The risk if you don't have it faced is the new bearings will be out of alignment and wear prematurely. Should cost you between £10-£20 and you're good to go.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    It's worth getting it faced - one time only thing and will save some potential hassle. I know that it's not the same as doing the whole thing yourself though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

• Planet X £299 deal?

The 2300 bb is a square taper cartridge bearing and so it's unlikely the bb shell has been squared off. The risk if you don't have it faced is the new bearings will be out of alignment and wear prematurely. Should cost you between £10-£20 and you're good to go.

Ribble deal on 105, Planet X for wheels and tools. Will proceed with care re the BB, thanks.
  • Quick update.

We got started about 7:30 last night and I think we got on OK. Got the bike up on the stand and got all the old 2300 parts off. Most of these look in good condition so will give them a clean up and decide whether to see if any of my friends need anything, sell on or keep and look at putting on another frame for a bit of fun.

The BB came out nice and smoothly, we examined the threads and all looked OK so we gave them a clean, applied new grease and then fitted the new 105 BB very carefully. So glad I invested in the Jobsworth tool kit. Cranks fitted and seem to be running smooth and evenly. Got the shifters, brakes, front derailleur and rear derailleur on. Front and rear brakes are also all cabled up.

At this point our hands were getting a bit cold so we called it a night. Plan for tonight is quick visit to bike shop to pick up some tubes with longer valves for the new deeper section (50mm) wheels along with some cable ends. Then it's a case of getting the gears cabled up, cassette on the wheels and then indexing and tweaking before fitting the new bar tape last.

It's been a fairly steep learning curve for me at least and I was surprised just how small my frame is once everything was off it. Itching to get it finished so I can get out for a ride this weekend.
  • Bar two very minor tweaks it is all done. I plan to change the seat for one of my black Specialized ones and also get another tube for the rear wheel (managed to put a hole in this one getting tyre on - bloomin tight fit).

The 105 groupset all feels very slick and the wheels do just look fast! Can't wait to ride it tomorrow...

Izb4e9w.jpg

VOhdSKe.jpg
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Which wheels did you go for? RS81's?

They look great. I have to say my 2013 Allez Sport frame is beginning to cry out for some new wheels... Those look awesome.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Lancew wrote:
    Which wheels did you go for? RS81's?

They look great. I have to say my 2013 Allez Sport frame is beginning to cry out for some new wheels... Those look awesome.

RS81s with the 50mm deep section from Planet X. Seem to be a really well put together piece of kit. interesting to see if they'll have any noticeable impact on the ride quality of the bike.