compact to standard chainrings only

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I have a Trek 2.1 2012 currently with 50/34 & 12-30 cassette both of which along with chain needs replacing as worn. I am missing the harder gears, also hardly use the inner 34 chainring, so looking at going bigger 53/39 chainring in 110 bcd and lower rear 11-25/28. Think I'm going for ulterga cassette and chain
I would have liked an ulterga chainring with rest being 105 parts but obv these are 130 bcd so would need a new chain set which I don't want do, I have found spa cycle that stock strong light that are 53t in 110 bcd but never heard of them and don't know how they compare to the shimano 105/ulterga so don't know if best sticking with shimano or 'upgrade' to the bigger teath chainring not knowing the quality?

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited March 2014
    I would have thought 50x12 gear would be big enough for most people, ive even used my training bike with 50x12 in a few races and had no problems. Surprised the chainring is worn out so soon though, i would just change chain and cassette and see how it runs before replacing chainrings or chainset. The bigger 53 ring though will last longer than the 50 and you may get better chain alignment using your normal gears if you like the harder gears.

Stronglight are good, everybit as good as Shimano
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Are you sure your chainrings are worn - as said by Cadseen they shouldnt be worn out. Dont forget that Shimano profile the teeth to improve shifting so some of the teeth look like there are bits missing. I'd start with a higher ratio cassette and chain and go from there - you can always swap rings over later. I dont believe anyone this side of cat 1 / professional needs a 53 outer chainring - you must be riding everywhere at 35mph?? ;)

If its just the 34 ring that you arent using much anyway - then you could always just change that pretty cheaply for something like a 36 or 38 for about £25
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited March 2014
    Well it's quite possible to spin out 50/12, I can pedal it at a normal cadence when going down a moderate hill so I would imagine stronger riders would spin it out. However going 11T on the rear makes a big difference and I would suggest to the OP they change their cassette first to 11T that might solve the issue, and if not won't come in wrong.

I had a 11T gear over the winter and went back to having a 12T for my summer wheels and I like it better, sure I spin it out sometimes, but it means I have a gear I actually use a lot of the time rather than the 11T which I hardly ever used.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Just get an 11-25 or 11-28 cassette along with the new chain. If the new chain jumps on the front then you need new chain rings, otherwise you don't.

50-11 is a bigger gear than 53-12, and you're deluding yourself if you think you need 53-11. Play around with http://www.gear-calculator.com to compare your current setup with proposed changes.

If you really do want new, bigger chain rings then Praxis Works do 110BCD "mid-compact" rings in 52-36 which are excellent quality if a little expensive
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I think this is quite a common scenario particularly for people who are newer to the sport are making good gains in their fitness and are looking for shortcuts to even faster riding. I have been there. However I would suggest that any amateur really does not need a double unless they are racing or competing in very flat TTs. I fell into the trap of thinking I might need bigger gears largely due to chasing strava segments times on downhills, which is pretty stupid really. FOr the amount of times you spin out on a ride it just isn't worth it. Better to focus on improving your tuck, braking and cornering ability. I am learning that faster descending is more about confidence and experience vs gearing.

If the OP is spinning riding in 50 * 12 at 100rpm then he will be travelling at close to 50kmph. In which case chapeau and as is said often - give Sir Dave a call. Stick with your compact and ride your bike hard.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    To partially answer the OP, rather than telling them they're wrong, Stronglight have been around for decades and produce a good quality product. Whether or not their 110 BCD rings will fit your chainset (it may have a particular spider for instance), well give SJS a call to check and they'll be able to tell you. Other companies (Rotor, FSA for two) also do 52 or 53 chainrings with 110 BCD, but again call to discuss fitment to your particular cranks, just to be sure.

And my next bike will have a compact chainset, and will start with 50/34, but I'll also have 36, 39 and 52 rings (All Miche in my case) for variety. As I tend to ride with a lower cadence than the modern ideal, I like bigger rings. Not everyone pedals the same, or agrees with the "norms" of cadence today.