best bib shorts?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
i originally wanted the raphia pro team bibs but since they have gone up i thought maybe i should get more sensible...shock horror lol and i wondered what people thought were the best bib shorts out there. i use as best now mavic sprint shorts which are fine but need another pair. thank you
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Giordana FR-C.
    Pearl Izumi PRO In-Rcool.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Castelli Free Aero.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Assos T FI 13_s5 - get em while you can!

Peter
  • Endura Equipe Endurance
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli bodyfit

or

Castelli Free Aero

No contest - tried Rapha and lots of others and sent the Rapha back. Castelli cannot be matched in my opinion. Not so sure on the Velocissimo though, or the Nanoflex - both use the same pad and at least on the Nanoflex it is sewn in too far backwards and is not in the right place (see lots of other similar comments on wiggle reviews, so its not just me!)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Assos S7 or Castelli Body Paint. Have a set of Rapha Lightweight bibs and they're superb as well.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • +1 for the Castelli free aero. I have a few pairs and they are brilliant.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    apreading wrote:
    Castelli cannot be matched in my opinion. Not so sure on the Velocissimo though, or the Nanoflex - both use the same pad and at least on the Nanoflex it is sewn in too far backwards and is not in the right place (see lots of other similar comments on wiggle reviews, so its not just me!)

That's just the right place for me and the pad is to far forward in my Aero Free's. Just shows you have to try them as everyone is different

Without a doubt my favourite shorts are Sportful Total Comfort - exactly as the model name. But that's no guarantee they will be great for you.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Assos milli s5.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    Tried both the Rapha Classic and Rapha Pro Team - Pro Team are hands down a better fit. Classic bibs feel a bit loose. Saying that the Chamois in both is superb - I did 1000km in 7 days on the classics and they were bombproof.

I am sure that any other high end brand (Castelli, Assos) will be just as good though.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Polaris Range of bibs are very good, Venom especially.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    apreading wrote:
    Castelli bodyfit

or

Castelli Free Aero

No contest

I've not tried Castelli - what are the main differences between bodyfit and free aero from cut/ comfort perspective?

Peter
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    looks like generally castelli are getting a good plug so i will have a look at some of them. cheers
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Another vote for Castelli. Any of their stuff with the progetto pad is top notch.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wasn't impressed with the Castelli and I wanted to be. i love my Gabba.

The team shorts weren't made that well - the name across the back two panels wasn't level across the seam.

The bodypaint shorts were meant to be black but went grey when stretched. Not a good look.

I quite like the DHB shorts. As comfy as Assos and well made.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Coach H wrote:
    Without a doubt my favourite shorts are Sportful Total Comfort - exactly as the model name. But that's no guarantee they will be great for you.

Rapha Pro Team bibs are really, really, really good, and for colder weather I love my Assos t607 bibs with knee or leg warmers – but I fancied a change - so the good lady got me some Sportful Total Comfort bibs for Xmas (after I sent back those new Assos bibs which just didn’t cut it). Haven’t worn them in anger yet but when I tried them on they felt damn fine and I reckon that pad is going to be kind to my back side on ‘epic’ rides – it’s luxurious! They look very cool too.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    cougie wrote:
    I quite like the DHB shorts. As comfy as Assos and well made.
    Which DHB shorts? My missus has a pair and thinks they are about 25% as good as her Rapha ones....
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Hated the Rapha Pro Team bibs, and I really really wanted to like them as I got them for such a good price. Too many panels, too fussy a fit that was never quite right and seemed like they would run warmer than the Castelli Free aeros which are great in the summer.

The Bodypaint shorts have the most comfortable shorts part I have ever tried - you just dont notice it is there. They really have to be tried to be believed. I didnt like the strange bib straps they put on them at the time though, and really liked the Free Aeros too, so returned the bodypaints and went with the Frees. Since then I have been using the same straps on the Sorpasso tights though, and they are actually OK, albeit I dont think they are as comfy as the straps on the Free Aeros, but that could be because I am tall and they dont seem quite long enough.

Cant see how the pad on the Nanoflex could be in the right place for anyone though, unless you ride a recumbent or have your saddle tilted forward at 45 degrees... I guess we are all different but no other shorts I have tried have it that far back.

I have some Sportful Squadra Corse, which are OK but the total comfort pad in them is really thin and nowhere near as refined as that in the Castelli ones. Thats OK for me some of the time because I dont really need a pad unless on a really long ride, but when I do I would not say the total comfort pad was enough.

DHB are OK, as are the better Decathlon ones, Altura ones or several others of a similar nature - but they are definately a tier (or two) below the better Castelli ones - anyone saying they are as good probably just hasnt tried anything better.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Assos Mille for me, as they are being discontinued they can be picked up with good reductions too. Castelli and Rapha are good too in that sort of price range just goes down to personal preference.

For a bit cheaper then it is hard to look past the Assos T_Pro S2 at about £90

Disagree with the recommendation for dhb - they used to be good value for money (and other dhb clothes still are) but the current range of bibs are poor. The lycra goes see through quickly and the pad is too thin, particularly at the front.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    These are my DHB's http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race- ... bib-short/

Not gone see through yet and cant see that they will - they seem sturdier than my assos. The pad is personal preference - the Assos one is a bit too nappy like for me.

Looking at my orders it was the Castelli Free Aero that was too lightweight for me. The XL went grey in places- and I'm only a 32" waist.
  • Endura pro bibs, have only worn them on the turbo as they were a club kit order for the summer not for this damn weather, but they feel very comfy and the lycra appears very good quality.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's funny reading this thread - it's clearly a personal preference thing. I'm an Assos fan - tried Castelli and simply not as happy. Have a pair of DHB tights which aren't much good and got some Endura that went straight back as the leg openings were different sizes!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    My go to shorts have been Sugoi RS and good they are.

With all the great feedback I just had to scratch the Assos itch so picked up a pair of S5 Uno's recently. Initially underwhelmed, first couple of rides I'd concur with the nappy like, bulky feedback of some. However, after a couple more rides they seem to have settled or I've got used to them and going back to Sugoi is now a chore. Did 70m in the Assos today and they were super.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    The chamois in Assos shorts can't be beaten and the construction and materials are top notch. However, I'm a mega Castelli fan. Their "stuff" works really well and there's no other make that (imo) looks as good. I find Assos a bit Swiss in the looks department: functional, stylish, but maybe a little boring. With Castelli on I feel like a pro (not that my legs work like a pro's :D ).
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    Shutt VR are good and from the UK!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I like my Assos, but to be honest I think that I prefer my Craft Elite shorts (which I think are on their third year). I really like the pad in my Equipe bib longs, so might have a look at those next time.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved