Goretex Jacket

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Left my last job after 10 years & they did some crafty research with the g/friend & came up with a substantial Evans gift voucher as a leaving present - thanks guys :)

Anyway, apart from the kiddy in the sweetshop analogy, I was thinking about taking the opportunity to get a decent Goretex type jacket as its not the sort of money I would normally have available for one, so looking for recommendations. I did see one in Evans today (can't resist looking!) but the "tail" on it would have kept my mudguard dry it was that long...

I want something that if as breathable as possible as I tend to always work hard and one that is not bulky to pack away into my rucksack. Not too worried about insulation (see first comment) & generally ride on the drops.

What have you had, tried, liked, hated and what would you get and why?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rapha wet weather jacket innit 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The Gore Bike Wear ones may be expensive but they are truly outstanding. Which one you get will depend on what sort of riding you do
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you work up a sweat then don't bother with Goretex or eVent, or any PFTE fabric jackets, be they 2.5 or 3 layer. Despite manufacturer's claims none of them a very breathable and get vey wet on the inside.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Castelli Pocketliner get very good reviews. I have one but only used it a couple of times. Seems to do the job.

Also short Sleeve Gabba is an awesome bit of kit. Perfect for current weather with just a baselayer underneath and some nanoflex armwarmers.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    This might be interesting:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-blog/ ... 12549.html
    A Brutal Test Of Breathability

And mountain biking in the Peak, is a brutal test of breathability. Because you spend more time climbing than descending. Because the climbs are steep and tricky and drag you over threshold into the anaerobic, high heart rate, seat-generating, red-zone. And because you tend to move faster and work harder than you would when walking the same trail.

And I have to say, in terms of breathability, the Artemis absolutely rocked. I was comfortable from the off and I stayed that way despite not bothering with the venting pockets or pit-zips even on sustained climbs. I kept waiting for the awful, boil-in-the-bag explosion of heat and sauna-like steam inside my jacket and sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes, but it simply didn't happen. I just stayed comfortable.
  • itboffin
    is that sold at evans?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    but yeah if the sky rapha isnt your bag any of the castelli rain jackets & jerseys will put a smile on your face
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Castelli Pocket Liner. Evans should pricematch sigma at £217. Most breathable waterproof I've ever had, although as has been said above, even the best waterproofs (which this patently is) aren't actually that breathable when you're as sweaty as I am...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm a sweaty fecker. I put it down to working so damn hard rather than having the body fat percentage of a cheeseburger. The Rapha Rain Jacket works for me, anything else (including my Rapha Softshell) feels like it's got a built in wallpaper steamer after 10 minutes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    HamishD wrote:
    Castelli Pocket Liner. Evans should pricematch sigma at £217. Most breathable waterproof I've ever had, although as has been said above, even the best waterproofs (which this patently is) aren't actually that breathable when you're as sweaty as I am...

£217 for a thin piece of plastic? Unbelievable!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    goonz wrote:
    HamishD wrote:

Castelli is pricey. I thought we agreed it was Gabba or nothing ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I got a Gore Path Jacket bout 15 months ago, also from Evans.

Positives:

- totally waterproof
    - warm

Negatives:

- not breathable if you run hot (I do) and thus I can't use it 5 degrees or above without getting soaked on the insude.
    - zip effectively broke after a year and not many rides and i can only use it by pulling it over my head...not impressed at all especially after it was just after the one year warranty period.

I only really use it as a waterproof for on my vespa now...rapha pro team jacket for me in the rain (not waterproof, but it's ok for the commute).

Had my eye on the rapha rain jacket for a while but price put me off...
  • goonz
    fat_tail wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    HamishD wrote:

Castelli is pricey. I thought we agreed it was Gabba or nothing ?

Yeah I would say Gabba is the way forward. As soon as I can afford one I'll get it.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I like my TORM long sleeve jersey. with a base layer and sometimes if its cold some arm warmers its fine. If its wet, I wear a cheapo rainjacket from plantex. I am going to sweat anyway I reckon.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had the gore, i now have the rapha.

both are brilliant. both as good as each other.

my gore zip died after close to 5 years sterling service and then the rapha just so happened to be on sale when it needed replacing otherwise id have got another gore.
  • goonz
    Rapha wind jacket or rain jacket or hardshell?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Go Gabba! Got the long sleeve and it's been extremely good. Also have a One Ten Pioggio Event shell and I find it does a great job when raining hard, and I'm also a sweaty bleeder - so Event breathes for me...

EDIT: sorry, just realised OP is restricted to Evans and they don't do One Ten
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    If you go for Gabba, I'd go short sleeve with the nanoflex arm warmers. Arms on the long sleeve are a little baggy IMO.
  • goonz
    Really need a Gabba...