New front mech suggestions

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
I have a carrera gryphon disc brake and changed the tyres a while ago to swalbe marathon tour 28mm as my commute takes me through an industrial estate with broken glass, nails etc.

I was looking for a full set of mudguards, and with the 28mm tyres, the clearance is reduced.

The main issue I have is that I have a Shimano Nexave front mech (with sram X5 left and right shifters), but the h/l adjusters and bolt for the front mech are round the back of the seat tube, meaning the clearance is greatly reduced.

Can anyone suggest a good front mech which keeps the back of the seat tube clear so I have the clearance to fit a full mudguard?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to be careful as the lower bottle cage bolts make some mechs an issue. However a Sora for example has everything outboard and just the band round the rear and it looks like it would fit (sitting on the bottle cage boss) with a 53T biggest ring but I'm not sure what the Gryphon comes with.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    My CX came with a Deore front mech which prevented me from fitting a rear mudguard, I ended up fitting a 105 front mech which (sounds similar to the Sora described above) only has the band round the frame, leaving enough room for the mudguard.