help fitting tyres to aero wheels

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I have purchased some new wheels Fulcrums Racing Quattros not exactly full aero wheels but have a 33 mm rim. Ive got some GP4000s to put on. The front one went on ok but the rear is a bit of a nightmare. Ive already pinched an inner tube. Any hints tips for getting the tyre on Ive got some plastic tyre levers, some zips ties and some badly bruised thumbs.
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    tbh i've always found gp4000s tyres are pretty easy to mount, certainly never needed levers to do it

inflate the tub a bit to reduce chances of nipping it

warming the tyre before mounting may help (dunk in hot water, wipe dry, mount), some soap on the rim can also ease the last bit if the rim+tyre combination is a difficult one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Soapy water around the rim or tyre could help. I've never had to do that, ever in all my time but it might help you.

I'd also recommend some Pedros plastic tyre levers.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    It used to be damn hard mounting GP4000S on my Fulcrum 3's, enough that I took it to a shop, had that look of 'really, you want help with that!' before the mechanic broke a park lever doing it...

New tyres can be hard, make sure the bead where the tyre is on is in the centre of the channel (i.e. where the wheel is smallest) and as said, soapy water (if the rim has rim tape then veloplugs also help). Good news is that they'll be a lot easier next time.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The technique of getting the "bottom" of the tyre on, and then around to the "10 to 2" position, zip-tying (or toe-strapping) at "quarter to three" then basically working the tyre down into the rim well and around the rim for several iterations works for me - putting Marathon non-folding onto my rims. No levers needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    well tried the zip tying method and it worked without levers so Ive put a couple in my seat bag in case of a puncture whilst out and about, would recommend the you tube video does help. Just need some nice weather and Ill put the new wheels on and park the winter wheels till December.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited March 2014
    Kingsmill1 wrote:
    well tried the zip tying method and it worked without levers so Ive put a couple in my seat bag for the certain puncture when it rains

FTFY - GP4000S :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Glad it helped. Do take a lever or 2 to help remove the tyre out on the road though!