Going 1x10

benchallinor
benchallinor Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm planning on converting my Giant Reign 2 to a 1x10 setup and I've just got a couple of concerns.

I've only had the bike a couple of weeks but I' ve spent most of that time in the 24T chainring. So am I going to have a heart attack when climbing with nothing but a 32T at the front?! :oops:

Will I be ok sticking with my standard X7 rear mech? I've read that a clutch mech is better in a 1x setup, but I'd rather not change this at the moment as it's only a fortnight old. I'll be running a narrow wide chainring and a chain guide if this makes a difference.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why do you want to change if you are spending so much time in granny gear?
    The mech will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    cooldad wrote:
    Why do you want to change if you are spending so much time in granny gear?
    The mech will be fine.

This.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cos it's cool, durgh.
  • I've never really got on with or got much use out of my front mechs and so I like the idea of doing without one. Why have one if I never use it? Also having one less thing on the bars will be nice now I've got a dropper post remote too.

Cheers for the contructive comment Chunkers1980.
  • njee20
    But by your own admission you'll struggle with the gearing you'll end up with?

Or are you thinking of a 24t single ring?
  • Chunkers1980
    24t will ne fine if you have super super fast sparrow legs. Otherwise I'd opt for a 29t wide narow.
  • I was actually thinking 30/32T. I know this will be a struggle to start with, but part of the point of riding is to get myself fitter!

I wanted some advice on the rear mech mainly as I'd prefer not to change it already.
  • njee20
    Otherwise I'd opt for a 29t wide narow.

You'll struggle to find one of those...

Rear mech will be fine.
  • Chunkers1980
    Easy, buy a 30t and grind one off. sorted.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    See the stuff you are riding in 24T, go ride it on the 32T and see how you get on. If you can cope then you can cope with 1x10.

That's what I did before swapping my trance over, ended up going 34T up front.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I haven't got a 32T, it's 24/38 at the moment.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Buy an old 32 of eBay before splashing out on the NW ring then.
    Tbh 1x10 is not for you, let's face it
  • Cqc wrote:
    Buy an old 32 of eBay before splashing out on the NW ring then.
    Tbh 1x10 is not for you, let's face it

Good idea I might look for a cheap 32 or 30 on eBay first to help decide what size to go for.

Not sure what that you've based that opinion on.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I've never really got on with or got much use out of my front mechs and so I like the idea of doing without one. Why have one if I never use it? Also having one less thing on the bars will be nice now I've got a dropper post remote too.

Cheers for the contructive comment Chunkers1980.

Not sure what that you've based that opinion on.
    iyou spend your life on a 24t ring so you clearly need a granny ring and want to get rid of one cable, which isn't worth it if it means sacrificing gears
  • 97th choice
    I haven't got a 32T, it's 24/38 at the moment.

Work out what would be the rough equivalent and don't go above that. For example don't use the easiest three gears when in 24t

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cqc wrote:
    iyou spend your life on a 24t ring so you clearly need a granny ring and want to get rid of one cable, which isn't worth it if it means sacrificing gears

I never said I spend my life on the 24t, I said that in the couple of weeks since I've had the bike I've spent the vast majority of the time using that ring rather than the 38t. Which to me seems another reason to find a happy medium.

Getting rid of a cable is just one of a number of reasons. The same reasons as anyone else I imagine.

Anyway my main question was whether the X7 rear mech would be OK and it seems the answer is yes. The first point wasn't a serious question. I'm well aware of my gearing requirements!
  • 97th choice
    X7 should be, but a clutch mech would quieten things done a lot, I found the chain slap on my trance annoying and it has less rear travel than the reign.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    You're unlikely to find a cheap 30t ring to try it out, they have to be offset to clear the spider on a standard 104mm BCD, so it's only recently with the proliferation of people going 1x10 who can't manage a 32t that they've become more mainstream.

Plenty of cheap 32s though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, even used 30t go for over £30, my 32t raceface i got for £10 delivered.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    The Rookie wrote:
    I agree, even used 30t go for over £30, my 32t raceface i got for £10 delivered.

Got a link by any chance?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    I imagine it was eBay or the like, as suggested.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, bought used off pinkbike....that cheap as it was used! The point is that as 30T is harder to do (the roots of the teeth get very close to the chainring bolts) they are more expensive, they are also much rarer so finding one used is next to impossible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    But not for the king of secondhand
  • The Rookie
    I couldn't find one when I wanted one for my daughter!
  • njee20
    AFAIK the only company doing one until about 2 years ago was Extralite, who did an Octaramp ring designed to be used as a double. I had several, they were good, but you had to file a chamfer on the spider so the chain would clear it.

It's only now with companies doing narrow/wide rings that they've started doing 30s, under the auspices of 29ers needing easier gearing, rather than unfit biffers desperate to indulge in the latest trend with a single ring drivetrain! ;-)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    njee20 wrote:
    It's only now with companies doing narrow/wide rings that they've started doing 30s, under the auspices of 29ers needing easier gearing, rather than unfit biffers desperate to indulge in the latest trend with a single ring drivetrain! ;-)

I really don't agree with that last bit. I'm going to be fitting a 30t to my 26er Marin, not because I need it because usually I don't, but for those times I'm completely knackered and I can have that slightly easier gear. Thing is, I won't be loosing any top end speed because I never use the 13t or 11t except on the road with a 32t ring so it won't really affect anything.

I rode a 34t ring before the 32t and I only switched to the 32t for the same reason I'll be switching to the 30t. Not everyone needs a super high gear.
  • njee20
    It was a tongue in cheek comment, don't worry petal.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    38/24 is a big jump, a 32t or 30t would be ideal. Thing with 1x is if you think you aren't fit enough to use it, try it and you soon will be! I'm by no means super fit but there's very little I can't ride on my 34/36 bottom gear. Also worth bering in mind that more and more cassette adapters are coming to the market, Hope have just released a 40t range extender that should you find a 32t too hard a gear there is scope to keep your 1x setup but still have a bigger range of gears. I hate going back to 2x or worse 3x bikes, it just makes zero sense to me when 1x setups are so versatile and solve so many problems.