Few Accessories for Commuting Beginners

BicyclesBuddy
BicyclesBuddy Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
I am just a newbie in cycling and commuting, so pardon me if I miss anything from this list :) This are the stuff that I thought would be necessary to any beginners in commuting.

Must Have
Kickstand
Quality Helmet
Water Bottle Stand
Head Light and Tail Light

Can Wait
Cyclocomputer

Are this stuff enough ?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you don't need a kickstand ...

lights - yes

you're missing everything to do with repairing your bike on the road ...

Multi-tool including chain breaker
    Tyre levers
    Pump
    2 spare tubes
    instant patches
    Tyreboot
    Chain Quicklink
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Kickstand - You don't need that, unless you have a specific requirement, most bikes don't have them.
    Quality Helmet - Yes
    Water Bottle Stand - Bottle cage? Yes, if your commute is short e.g. <30 minutes you could get away without one.
    Head Light and Tail Light - If you're riding in the dark, yes, it's a legal requirement.

Cyclocomputer - Right, something to be said for cycling without numbers!

You also need, pump, puncture repair kit or spare tube or both. Tyre levers. Multitool.

Appropriate clothing for cycling in all weathers. Doesn't have to be cycling specific but it helps.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    computer isn't important - but I would counter thats there is a lot positive about riding with numbers, I certainly found it incredibly beneficial to keep track of mileage/time spent riding on the commute and used the improvements seen to spur me on to ride further/longer.

Its not for everyone, and I don't obsess about real time data, my commute is recorded but I don't get to see my current/average speed or distance covered displayed on my handlebars. I tuck my iPhone in my pocket and leave it recording Strava.

Riding on the weekends I do use a Garmin Edge, but not bothered with it on the commute.

I carry:
    - mini pump
    - 2x tubes
    - patches/repair kit
    - multi tool
    - first aid kit (small)
    - lock
    - waterproof bag with my clean clothes & him kit in
    - jacket (lightweight)

all stuffed into my DHB Slice 30l Rucksack for a 15 mile commute

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I have -
    on me
    gloves (never ride without them, fingerless in the summer)
    glasses, clear lenses in the dark, sunglasses in the light (stops things flying in your eyes!)
    waterproof socks
    helmet

on the bike
    lights
    computer (i like numbers so wouldnt be without it)
    water bottle holder
    mud guards at this time of year

kit in the bag-
    mini pump
    spare tubes
    tyre levers
    multi tool (with chain splitter)
    extra chain link

but really as long as you have your phone and wallet you cn get out of most situations!

things to consider getting that you wont need on the bike are
    chain cleaner and lube
    a good set of allen keys
    a maintenance book (or search on you tube) - this has saved me a lot of money doing my own maintenance.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Good grief!

I just carry

Lights, pump,2tubes 1or 2 bottles and a patch kit.
    I can't be done with all the other tat people carry.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carry
    Lights (winter), tube plus 2 self adhesive patches, tyre levers (how you getting the tyre off Doris?), multitool with chain tool and a power link, additionally I run 2 powerlinks on the chain one inner apart so can always fix the chain losing at worst my lowest gear. I also carry a very lightweight waterproof top.

Wear
    Helmet, gloves or mitts with T-shirt and shorts and a soft shell in winter.

Water - no need up to a 45 minute commute.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    gloves, like helmets are only necessary in a crash but when you do crash, they are vital.

You dont need to sip water all the time. If you drink before the commute you won't dehydrate.
    I carry a 250cc bottle mainly for emergency use (delays or washing)
    mud guards any this time of year
    Rear luggage rack.
  • My £10 hi viz waterproof bag cover was one of my best buys. Hi viz jackets are great but almost pointless if you have a rucksack over them so this makes up for it.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    You might also want to think about a lock.

I keep my locks attached to the bike rack at work, when I travel, so I don't have to cart them around with me.

That's unless you can put the bike somewhere that's secure.
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    how do you carry all this stuff sorry new here
  • cremator wrote:

I have a small rucksack I have on my back. In the main bit work shirt, socks, boxers and deodorant and wet wipes ( I leave trousers, jacket and shoes at work) and then in side compartment spare tubes, tyre leavers, spare socks/boxers for when I forget to bring some in! So even if I have a big packed lunch still plenty of room in bag and it isn't heavy so no sweat from it, would hate to use panniers as would be concerned they make me a bigger target for a car to hit when they drive by.

Locks left at work, lights go in my jacket pocket as don't leave them on bike during day, lock helmet up to bike. Also leave a coat at work for when I go out on lunch breaks as I don't want to wear my cycle jacket. Been doing this for 4 years, never had more than a puncture to deal with so don't see the need for all this extra repair business.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    Track pump with pressure guage for home. Whatever tyres you are running wil benefit from being at or nearly at max pressure all the time, will make the bike roll better and avoid pinch flats. Absolutely essential in my view, amazed at how many bikes parked at work have almost flat tyres, its such a fundamental thing that dramatically affects the feel of the bike.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    cremator wrote:
    Panniers :)
    this is my current list
    2 inner tubes
    multi tool with chain tool
    tyre levers
    c02 pump
    mini pump
    patches
    quick link
    tyre boot
    spare bit for fenders if they rub
    windproof
    waterproof overshoes
    rainlegs ( leggings for rain)
    sandwiches
    work clothes
    2 sets of keys
    phone
    Lights 2 front 2 rear , in winter that goes up to 3 rear , a see me front light, xml t6 .
    FCN 3/5/9