Post wash grind from rear disc brake

nongene
nongene Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I gave my trusty commuter steed (Whyte Stirling 2012) a full maintenance & valet treatment over the weekend. The bike is looking and running like new - well almost.

There's a issue is a slight grinding noise coming from the rear disc brake as I rotate the wheel.

I removed the wheel and tried to brush inside the brake pads but haven't managed to sort it.

Any ideas / previous experience?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You probably displaced some grime which is now sitting on the pads... panic not, just go for a ride and after a few squeezes it will go
    left the forum March 2023
  • nongene
    nongene Posts: 7
    Thanks... panic averted.
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    you may need to reset the caliper.i have to do it a lot on my mountain bike after i remove the wheel. i would never have disc brakes on my road bike for this reason. its a common problem with avid disc brakes apparently.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,722
    Never had to reset the caliper on mine, wheels on and off with gay abandon. Just line it up carefully when refitting. That's with Avid BB7s on the Kinesis or with the Shimano hydraulics on the MTB. I do often get noises after cleaning, soon sorts itself out. Good reason not to spend too long cleaning the bike if you ask me.