So I thought I'd commute today...

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I've not commuted by bike since the end of last summer when I was hit by a car on the way home. It kinda rocked my confidence a bit and I've avoided it since, using the dark and weather as an excuse.

But today, even before looking at what the weather was doing, I leaped out of bed and decided today was the day to ride to work again.

It's only a 2 mile ride.

1 mile into it and I hear that dreaded pfffffssssstttttt.

OK, tube in saddle bag, no problem, I'll be on my way again in no time.

20 minutes I was at the side of that **** road. Dog knows what I went over but there was a huge cut in my tyre and through the inner tube. So I rip the tube out, stick in another and start pumping. I reach a decent pressure and unscrew my Lezyne Road Drive screw on hose. And that's when it dawns on me. It's a Conti tube and I've not pre-tightened the valve stem. They're notorious for being too loose to use a screw on hose when they're new.

So that's where the 20 minutes went, desperately trying to tighten the vale stem enough with my fingers to be able to pump up the tyre ,time and time again only to hear the rush of air as the valve stem comes out when I take the hose off.

I finally got to work, only managed about 50psi and limped here. Cold, wet, mucky and stinging fingers

I'm just waiting for the glue to dry on the valve stem now....

I will not be put off, I will ride home and I will do it all again tomorrow.
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    arse isn't it!

I removed my mini standpump from my damp weather bike yesterday - only to find that it has marked the frame :(
    I needed to change a turbo tyre so used the mini pump for that - just to test that I can use it effectively as it'll be the only pump I take on holiday ... fortunately it worked fine - so it's partially forgiven ...
  • 1 mile to go? You could have walked that in 10 minutes and fixed that puncture on company time!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I too have had problems with Conti valves and enough comments from other people that I wouldn't buy any of their tubes again.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    They're ok with me, but its true that some need a tighten. Just use a valve tool? I'm falling out of favour with my lezyne pressure drive because of the screw rather than clip on hose which seems to undo everything, pretightened or not.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • ic.
    1 mile to go? You could have walked that in 10 minutes and fixed that puncture on company time!

Speedplay cleats! Not worth the £35 replacement tbh. I've done it before, walking in my socks but it was a bit wet this morning for that

To reassure you though, I've have spent roughly 30 mins of company time ranting, raving and fixing. :D

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well you are back on. I've found it best just to get back on the bike ASAP and get over the fear.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    IC. wrote:
    To reassure you though, I've have spent roughly 30 mins of company time ranting, raving and fixing. :D

and surfing Bikeradar.... 8)
  • ic.
    fossyant wrote:
    Well you are back on. I've found it best just to get back on the bike ASAP and get over the fear.

I've not avoided riding in general, just commuting. I've been racking up the miles come rain or wind this winter.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • markhewitt1978
    Another reason I went with SPD. Punctured half a mile from home, walked back without even considering it ;)
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i thoroughly recommend these for speedplays

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEEP-ON-KOVERS-FOR-SPEEDPLAY-ZERO-OR-LIGHT-ACTION-CLEATS-/181177433619?pt=US_Pedals&hash=item2a2f043e13

bit pricey at nearly £20 but i've had some for 8 months and still not worn through them and the cleats are still in A1 condition
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • IC. wrote:
    1 mile to go? You could have walked that in 10 minutes and fixed that puncture on company time!

Speedplay cleats! Not worth the £35 replacement tbh. I've done it before, walking in my socks but it was a bit wet this morning for that

Fair enough.
    Though I rode 3 miles on the rim a few weeks back. I was so annoyed at getting a puncture i refused to fix it.
    Tough rim and tougher tyre tho and standing up over the front wheel the whole way. Deadly slow as well. Probably would have been quicker repairing it!
  • markhewitt1978
    Really? I was worried about walking the bike half a mile with a flat, nevermind riding it!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Really? I was worried about walking the bike half a mile with a flat, nevermind riding it!

I got a second flat 6 mile from home. I did have a repair kit with me, but it was such a great evening I just walked home down the country lanes. SPDs are perfect for this.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I walked half a mile in SPD - SL' I ruined 2 cleats and got a massive blister.

The second time it happened i took of my shoes and walked in my socks.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    rubertoe wrote:
    I walked half a mile in SPD - SL' I ruined 2 cleats and got a massive blister.

The second time it happened i took of my shoes and walked in my socks.

Then needed new socks, amirite? I'd have gone barefoot.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)