lincoln to newark

max174
max174 Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know a good route from Lincoln towards Newark? I don't actually want to go all the way to Newark, I just want to cross over the border into Nottinghanshire, as part of a 5-counties challenge that I am planning for Sport Relief.
I ride an old Raleigh road bike, I prefer (quiet) roads or tarmac tracks (as opposed to mountain bike territory). I do not want to cycle along the A46 as the cars going past @ 70mph does not appeal.
If anyone is intersted my planned route is start in Laceby (NE Lincs), Barton-on-Humber (N Lincs), over the Humber bridge into Yorkshire, back over the bridge & south to Lincoln (Lincolnshire), Nottinghamshire, then home via the National cycle route No. 1. Approx. 125 miles. This will be a challenge to me as the most I have done in a day so far is 83 miles.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Why not take the A57 Gainsborough road and cross the Trent at Dunham Bridge? You'll either have to turn round or go down to Newark to cross the river again though.
    The A57 hasn't been too busy when I've ridden it and you could always take a urn off it and come back on further along but it would extend your ride a bit.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    From memory there's a cycle path linking the two. I've picked it up heading from Newark over to my folks in Keelby before. As I recall it's gravel and the surface is good, although it's been a while so my memory may be playing up. Good luck withy the ride.
  • max174
    max174 Posts: 9
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did my ride for sport relief on friday 21st March. I cycled from Lincoln city centre in a westerly direction, along a canal, under the A46, then on a cycle path through the village of Skellingthorpe, it is then only approx. 2 miles to the Nottinghamshire border.
    The path was mostly pretty good for a road bike, although a bit rough in some places.
    My total ride distance was 115 miles, I have so far raised £220 for sport relief.
    I'm not in a great rush to repeat the ride, up to 80 miles in a day is enough for me!
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I have done this ride many times.

Head to North Hykeham first, and take the left to Haddington. This small road will lead you through the village of Thurlby and then you'll ride through Stapleford Woods. In May-ish, the rhododendron should be in bloom. You're in Notts.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom