University Challenge - Oxbridge Deliberations

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Just an observation. But when a college from Oxbridge is deliberating a question, they seem to get an inordinate amount of time to confer before answering. Yet when other universities are in same position, Paxman seems to get on their back and asks them to hurry up.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Old boys network, he read English at St Catharine's College, Cambridge :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The way UC is set up is unfair anyway. There should be one team from Oxford, one from Cambridge. Letting them field several teams each is elitist and stupid.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The way UC is set up is unfair anyway. There should be one team from Oxford, one from Cambridge. Letting them field several teams each is elitist and stupid.
    Pffft. So we have a competition that the brightest from the bigger academies can't enter as the 4 places have already been filled? Tosh. The rules are that universities can enter one team unless they teach under the collegiate system - which apparently includes Oxbridge, and the Wales & London Uni's. You'll be asking for extended entries for The Boat Race next. :)
  • arran77
    CiB wrote:
    You'll be asking for extended entries for The Boat Race next. :)

Now you mention that it does seem a bit unfair :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Down with the oiks!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If Paxman went to Cambridge, I can't see him granting Oxford extra time to answer....
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The thing that bugs me on University Challenge are the teams that include some old git doing a PhD on something. There should be an age limit.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    yeah and some clever dicks, should be an intelligence limit
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    lesfirth wrote:
    The thing that bugs me on University Challenge are the teams that include some old git doing a PhD on something. There should be an age limit.

Old gits shouldn't be allowed to be students FFS :roll:

seanoconn
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    arran77 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Old gits shouldn't be allowed to be students FFS :roll:

So that includes someone who decides to do a degree for their own interest after they retire?

The older I get, the better I was.

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I don't think there should be an age limit, but I do think it should only be for those doing undergraduate degrees.