Pinarello Dogma 65.1 (new) respray advice!

daave77
daave77 Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I know many would consider this a sacrilege, but the 65.1 is my ultimate bike and there is a change of getting a Frameset (genuine, I've done my homework!) for £900 cheaper than most stockists but the colour scheme is far from ideal and given i want it perfect if I'm paying a lot of money for it, what are your views on a professional custom spray job? Nothing horrific, may be dark metallic grey with small union jacks on rear stay and forks similar to one of the factory models. I wish I could put up with its existing colours but I can't!

Comments

• Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    And welcome to the forum ;)
    Can we at least see what you've got to start with?
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    It wouldn't be red and white by any chance ?

One option would be these guys who I think do the Wyndymilla frames (so some experience of incorporating union jacks !)

http://www.ooeycustompaint.com
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    If you are paying that kind of money and want it perfect, why the hell are you proposing to respray?? :?

It will cost you for a respray. Why not pay that bit extra and buy a 'perfect' frame in the first place? :?
  • dwanes wrote:
    If you are paying that kind of money and want it perfect, why the hell are you proposing to respray?? :?

It will cost you for a respray. Why not pay that bit extra and buy a 'perfect' frame in the first place? :?

Cause I'm guessing he thinks a respray wont cost him £900 and it will be exactly what he wants.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Dogma : Classy Bike.

Dogma wit Union Jacks : Tacky Bike.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    No to Union Jacks..

team-sky-pinarello-dogma-651_zpsb3940667.jpg

Gets my vote!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    If it's your dream bike then save your pennies and get it right.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • If it's your dream bike then save your pennies and get it right.

+1
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Vandiesel wrote:
    No to Union Jacks..

team-sky-pinarello-dogma-651_zpsb3940667.jpg

Gets my vote!

I assume this is why it is cheap and needs respraying!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's your bike so don't ask others what they think of your paint idea.
    One thing I'd say is that you'll spoil the resale value so I'd ride it as us for a bit to make Sure it fits me and I'm happy with it.

When you try to sell it most people will assume it's a Chinese copy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like a bad idea to me (as you asked).

What colour is it?

Most people cannot design a good paint job on a bare frame done from scratch and having one put on to a finished frame will be even worse IMO.

I do not like a lot of colours and designs that manufacturers use but they still look better than personalised ones.

Not sure it will add up financially either.
    Will it have a warranty and if so will that become void?

If its such a bargain, buy it and resell, then put the profit towards one you like ;-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Guys like Atlantic Boulevard will do a custom finish that's better quality than the factory finish IMO - the key will be getting the design right
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Obviously a monumental waste of money, but if you really have to, then go for something seriously funky

Africabike__lgjpeg__op_800x600.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    That bike above made me laugh, it's as if the person who did it reached the wheels and thought 'I definitely wanna keep the Hed logos cos I paid a lot for those wheels'. Maybe they did the same by wanting to keep the Easton logo on the fork, but the frame itself was worthless. It looks like some odd bits of thinking have happened :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    mfin wrote:
    That bike above made me laugh, it's as if the person who did it reached the wheels and thought 'I definitely wanna keep the Hed logos cos I paid a lot for those wheels'. Maybe they did the same by wanting to keep the Easton logo on the fork, but the frame itself was worthless. It looks like some odd bits of thinking have happened :)

He's an artist, more here

http://greggrochesterart.homestead.com/bicycles.html
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    They look terrible.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

He's an artist, more here

http://greggrochesterart.homestead.com/bicycles.html

Ah, he's an artist, well that makes it brilliant then :) he's definitely making people think, well, at least he made me think 'why the heck do all that then leave some clashy out-of-place (in that context) branding like Hed logos showing through'. Maybe he did it to someone elses bike who asked him to leave the logos or he couldn't strip the rest of the stuff off and still sell them, I bet they are clinchers too ;)
  • have a look at www.wickedcoatings.co.uk just put my ribble in for some hydrographics. From what i saw when i was at their workshop they do some really nice work. I should be getting mine back in the next week and i'll stick some pics up.

If the coulor scheme is something completely custom then go for it but if its just a different colour scheme that they do as standard that you want i'd hold off either save a bit more or get a bargain elsewhere
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The other obvious negative to this idea is that people will just assume the bike is a Chinarello. Might not bother you but I think it could get a bit irritating after a while!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'd hold on the Union flag for the moment!

Whether a Union flag on a Italian bike is tacky or not ......... dressing one in Shimano certainly is.
  • rolf_f
    I'd hold on the Union flag for the moment!

Whether a Union flag on a Italian bike is tacky or not ......... dressing one in Shimano certainly is.

It's a Far Eastern bike so Shimano is the perfect kit for it!
  • I'm the artist who painted the bike you're referring to. On some of my painted bikes, I leave some logos showing to speak to the serious cyclist. I'm saying, "This isn't a piece of junk". I don't do it all the time. They are not clinchers, by the way. I will be doing a European tour with my bicycle art this summer. Hed cycling and I work together on a regular basis. I like to use their wheels, they like to use my bikes for promotions.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'm the artist who painted the bike you're referring to. On some of my painted bikes, I leave some logos showing to speak to the serious cyclist. I'm saying, "This isn't a piece of junk". I don't do it all the time. They are not clinchers, by the way. I will be doing a European tour with my bicycle art this summer. Hed cycling and I work together on a regular basis. I like to use their wheels, they like to use my bikes for promotions.

Ah, what do these folks know... they only like what they are told to like by PRO cycling... :wink:
    I like your bikes and would happily ride one...or give you my frame to paint... 8)
  • rolf_f
    I'm the artist who painted the bike you're referring to. On some of my painted bikes, I leave some logos showing to speak to the serious cyclist. I'm saying, "This isn't a piece of junk". I don't do it all the time. They are not clinchers, by the way. I will be doing a European tour with my bicycle art this summer. Hed cycling and I work together on a regular basis. I like to use their wheels, they like to use my bikes for promotions.

Ah, what do these folks know... they only like what they are told to like by PRO cycling... :wink:
    I like your bikes and would happily ride one...or give you my frame to paint... 8)

Have to say I agree with you. I find it slightly odd how much fuss people make about not buying a bike because the accents are blue rather than red as if it really makes a difference. If you are going to make a fuss about the paintjob, at least do it properly and get something interesting done!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:
    Have to say I agree with you. I find it slightly odd how much fuss people make about not buying a bike because the accents are blue rather than red as if it really makes a difference. If you are going to make a fuss about the paintjob, at least do it properly and get something interesting done!

... and the same people would happily buy one of Pegoretti's "artworks", I bet... :lol:
  • mfin

Ah, the hed bit is a commercial thing used in the context of some marketing, that explains why it looked odd.
  • mfin

Most people lust after a particular product or two when it comes to buying time, and they want something off the shelf that they can buy into as a brand. How many people drive cars which are custom painted for instance, pretty much noone does. Fact is, most people aren't into having any form of individuality at all, they want the same as other people. On the other hand though, if Sky went out and employed this guy to design next years colour schemes and that's how the Pinarellos looked next season, Sky fans with money would be buying them in droves.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

... and the same people would happily buy one of Pegoretti's "artworks", I bet... :lol:

But of course! Ditto Colnago Art Decor which is always rather too much for me. I prefer the Pegorettis.

My own fond idea for a custom paintjob concerns my Scott CR1 SL frame which needs to be gloss lacquered before I build it as it is a dreary and impractical matt black as delivered. Rather than just get it glossed, I quite like the idea of having it painted in RAF coastal command colours. I like white bikes and it would work rather neatly with the Scott.

But of course, I doubt I'll bother as the black will probably look good enough once it is nice and shiny!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    All I was saying is that the bikes painted by Gregg really don't appeal to me. That's the beauty of 'art'; everybody's opinion is different.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/