FOX 32 service...

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Have clocked up around 30 hours (moving time) on my Canyon now so it seems I need to service the fork and shock. However, everywhere I look tells me to do it to different levels. The fork is a Fox 32 Float 29 CTD Performance and shock is a Fox Float CTD Performance BV. I have looked on the site and cannot find a manual explaining service intervals on their site.

For the forks is it enough to remove the lower legs, lube sponges, replace crush washers and be done with it (circa £10 parts). Some places, inc the fox website say I need to replace all of the fork oil and oil the air chamber too. Some places even say I need to replace the seals at the top (circa £40).

Also, the Fox site says I need to do an air sleeve maintenance on the shock which looks like a right chew on!

Does anyone know the best service for the fork and shock at 30 hours?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    30 hours? It's a bit of a joke really. That could be a week or two in good weather.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wormishere1
    Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    cooldad wrote:
    30 hours? It's a bit of a joke really. That could be a week or two in good weather.

Exactly - since Jan 10th I have clocked up...

Year-to-Date
    Distance 328.8 km
    Time 28h 26m
    Elev Gain 8,816 m
    Rides 13
    Remember Rule #5
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I personally wouldn't service them that regularly unless they looked like they needed it. If you do service them then just do an oil change, you can check seals if you take the lowers off but shouldn't need to change them so soon
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Depends on how dirty the riding you have done was really and whether you oil the stanchions after use...

Based on the weather recently, im guessing pretty wet and dirty, so a lower leg service isn't going to hurt

As above, i wouldn't think seals would need doing after 30 hours

Air can service is a POP. Dont bother with seals etc, just whip the can off, clean it, regrease, refill with oil and put it back on
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    edited March 2014
    30 hrs? My fox float rl had been running sweetly for 7 years without even a seal service until last week when I serviced the lowers... And I ride about 6 -8 hrs a week... Leave them be
  • 30 hours isn't much but it depends, as has been mentioned.

I'd replace the oil if you're going to service it. Infact I wouldn't bother with replacing any seals after 30 hours, again it depends but can't imagine they'd need replacing. Just the oil and a good clean up and inspection.

What oil levels have you got? I would have a look through the fox tech site but it's 1am and knowing how dreadful that site is makes me want to cry a little. Maybe tomorrow if you're not confident with what you've found.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Fox fork and shock on my Canyon lasted a year before their first service - 5 hours or so riding a week makes that 250 hours. They probably didn't even need one that soon either judging by their condition. Only did an oil change anyway. I'll wait another while before I shell out £200+ sending them off for a proper service.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Its hit and miss at to if the lower leg on the air side will have the required lubrication in it. I'd definitely drop the lowers off to see what is in them. Even on my new fox forks they have been almost dry with fluid levels no where near the correct amount.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    remove the reound adjust knob, if fitted, then 10mm socket to remove the two bolts get the lowers off.

take a look inside to see what needs cleaning or replacing - at 30 houts i would expect very little. top up with fox oil and job done, probbly take 15 mins or less, including remvioal and refitting to bike.