Rim for powertap

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've just bought a second hand powertap which is laced into a pretty horrid looking rim.

Can I have suggestions for a rim that I can lace it into?

It needs to be 32 holes and I was thinking along the lines of fulcrum racing 5's in terms of comparison.

They would be general training wheels and longer club rides

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you want to keep the spokes you need one with the same ERD, what rim is it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    is it one of the cyclops complete wheel builds (mine has the cyclops stickers on the rim)? they started doing them with the new powertap pro and G3

if so (and I have one) it is built on a velocity a23 rim I believe. I'm about to get it rebuilt onto something narrower as it won't fit very well on my TT bike at the moment
  • ugo.santalucia
    Crozza wrote:
    if so (and I have one) it is built on a velocity a23 rim I believe. I'm about to get it rebuilt onto something narrower as it won't fit very well on my TT bike at the moment

wow, so you can't fit Zipp, HED etc. etc....
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I think it's an old very square very heavy dt Swiss rim. No stickers on it at all.

Happy to get new spokes etc.

What are you thinking of for yours crozza, though I assume you are looking at deep section carbons for tt
  • Crozza
    I've got carbon wheelcovers from Raltech, so I don't need a deep rim.

I've contacted Malcolm at cycleclinic and think I'll be going with a Kinlin X270

EDIT to add that mine is also 32 spokes. slightly annoying that I will be getting rid of a lightly used rim and 32 DT comp spokes, but I need new spokes to fit the new rim (a re-build with Mavic open pro would allow me to keep the spokes but wouldn't fit the wheelcovers :roll: ). Not sure if there is a hub out there that has the same dimensions as a PT hub that could be swapped in (even if that is possible)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Phil485 wrote:
    I think it's an old very square very heavy dt Swiss rim. No stickers on it at all.

Happy to get new spokes etc.

What are you thinking of for yours crozza, though I assume you are looking at deep section carbons for tt

I would be surprised somebody bothered to build a Powertap on a cheap and heavy rim... remember old generation PT hubs are very heavy, which could be the reason the wheel is heavy, rather than the rim... only the newest are light. These things used to weight nearly 1 Kg not many years ago.
    Kinlin 270 as mentioned before could be a replacement, but you'll need new spokes and Kinlin rims are hardly a "looker"... they come in plain black with no stickers and average finish.
  • Crozza
    Kinlin 270 as mentioned before could be a replacement, but you'll need new spokes and Kinlin rims are hardly a "looker"...

what other narrow rims would be a good bet (for me)?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Crozza wrote:
    Kinlin 270 as mentioned before could be a replacement, but you'll need new spokes and Kinlin rims are hardly a "looker"...

what other narrow rims would be a good bet (for me)?

That is a pretty decent rim, but the OP is looking for a nice looking rim and that I'm afraid it's not. DT 465 is always a nice rim, same as Ambrosio Excellence or Excellight
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The heaviest older powertap hub was the elite+ and even that only weighed around 600g so 1kg is way off.
    More problems but still living....