Upgrade for Mavic Aksium Wheelset?

alphacharlie
alphacharlie Posts: 202
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Having ridden my Boardman Team for the last 3 years on the OE Mavic Aksium's I'm thinking that an upgrade on the wheelset front would leave me some nice wheels for summer use and retain the Aksiums for winter use.

Any suggestions on where to look and what to go for? New or used.
Cheers
AC
Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
PDQ for the TT stuff

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just guessing but typing wheels into the search facility might show the odd hit :wink:
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Set your budget and the choose between either shimano, fulcrum or mavic etc. they are as good as each other.
    it's best to get the ones you like the look of, otherwise you won't like them.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Just guessing but typing wheels into the search facility might show the odd hit :wink:

1144 hits for Aksium including my post, plenty of hits for damaged or noisy wheels, bikes for sale with them fitted and a few posts for upgrading to them or from them, not many found where folk actually buy something from the recommendation then post back on the difference the new wheels have made :(

Cheers
    AC
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Budget, weight and riding use.

But handbuilts probably. Or zipp 303's
  • Having ridden my Boardman Team for the last 3 years on the OE Mavic Aksium's I'm thinking that an upgrade on the wheelset front would leave me some nice wheels for summer use and retain the Aksiums for winter use.

Any suggestions on where to look and what to go for? New or used.
    Cheers
    AC

Hi AC,

It's always difficult to simply say "this is the wheelset for you" since everyone's riding is unique and what may be a great wheel for one person may not be the right choice for someone else. Some points to consider would be:

- What is your budget?

- What type of riding do you mainly do? (e.g. flat, hilly, tucked away in the lanes or more out in the open when the wind is more of a consideration) From this you can identify if a lower profile wheelset, good for all-round riding, may be more suitable or a deeper section wheel which may offer aero advantages.

- How much do you weigh? Whatever wheelset you may choose, make sure it's suitable for your weight. No point going super light if it's not stiff when you put the power down.

- What do you really hope to gain from a wheel upgrade? Performance or the feel good factor of a good looking set hoops?

Ultimately once you have identified what's important to you then you'll naturally narrow the choices down and can be more targeted in your research and decision making.

Good luck and ride safe!

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited March 2014
    Best wheel upgrade i have done is to get a nice set of deep section wheels.
    Look good and increased performance generally except maybe really hilly rides.
    Some good choices on Chain reaction.
    I prefer the all carbon versions but alloy braking surfaces are still popular as well like the Mavic Cosmics

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wheels
    http://www.merlincycles.com/factory-road-wheels-44123/

_____________________________________________________________________________
  • Rider weight: 90kg but going down slowly
    General riding use but signed up for my first Sportive in June
    Mainly flat roads around here but some minor hills if I go further afield.
    Looking for some performance increase and a bit of bling too.
    Budget £300 plus
    Cheers
    AC
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    50mm carbons from Planet X. £399, ideal for flats, keep the mavics for steeper hills. Or get 50mm tubs for £399

They do 52mm clinchers for £299 but seem to be sold out.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXF45C/p ... r-wheelset

Bit more fun than 'mavic open pro/archetype + 105 hubs' handbuilt options. Certainly what i'd do with £300 floating around for wheels.

That or some Campag Eurus (or Fulcrum equivalent) but they are about £5-600
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    coriordan wrote:
    Bit more fun than 'mavic open pro/archetype + 105 hubs' handbuilt options. Certainly what i'd do with £300 floating around for wheels.

I thought you were drooling after these

nemesis1.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    True...but I don't think my rubbish hubs will do them justice, and weigh them down!
  • 99% decided on Fulcrum Racing 3 Clinchers
    AC
    PDQ for the TT stuff