Scott Foil 30 2013 (and SRAM Rival)

Slo Mo Jones
Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Anyone got a Foil 30? I've seen only one review online (Rutland cycles), which was very positive, but there seems to be very little else about it anywhere.

Also (relative newby question) SRAM Rival - how is it different from Shimano / Campag in terms of how it works?

Ta

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I had one. It was stiff, very stiff.
  • DHA987S wrote:

Good stiff or bad stiff?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    My introduction to road cycling was on a Campag equipped Condor (borrowed off a mate), and have since had bikes with SRAM and Shimano. I now only have SRAM equipped bikes (one with Apex, the other with Force) as I much prefer it to Shimano. Main thing for me is that the gear lever is separate from the brake lever, as I tended to apply the brake when changing gear with Shimano 105 (5600). SRAM is more positive shifting, similar to Campag, but Shimano was lighter. Very much personal preference though..
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    My introduction to road cycling was on a Campag equipped Condor (borrowed off a mate), and have since had bikes with SRAM and Shimano. I now only have SRAM equipped bikes (one with Apex, the other with Force) as I much prefer it to Shimano. Main thing for me is that the gear lever is separate from the brake lever, as I tended to apply the brake when changing gear with Shimano 105 (5600). SRAM is more positive shifting, similar to Campag, but Shimano was lighter. Very much personal preference though..
    Thanks

If the shifter is separate from the brake lever, how does it work? Click left for up, right for down? One click for up, two clicks for down? Please excuse my retardation.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    DHA987S wrote:

Good stiff or bad stiff?

I've had a couple Foils. Definitely good stiff.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Thanks

If the shifter is separate from the brake lever, how does it work? Click left for up, right for down? One click for up, two clicks for down? Please excuse my retardation.

Long sweep tp shift down,short click to shift up.Think of it as same as shimano,but all in one lever.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Thanks

Long sweep tp shift down,short click to shift up.Think of it as same as shimano,but all in one lever.
    My shitty 2012 sora has the thumb shifters, which don't suit my stubby thumbs in the drops.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Grill wrote:
    DHA987S wrote:

Good stiff or bad stiff?

Good stiff, unless you carry a shoulder injury (like me)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    DHA987S wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    DHA987S wrote:

Good stiff or bad stiff?

Good stiff, unless you carry a shoulder injury (like me)

13 dislocations and counting... :wink:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I find the foil too stiff, it's bloody fast but there are plenty of bikes out there that are super stiff without giving up on compliance. Personally the aero gains from most aero road frames really don't justify the decrease in comfort, and probably end up slower for the bulk of cyclists.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I've ridden centuries on my Foil 10 and it's given me no bother at all.

I've also got the hands of a small primate and Campagnolo shifters give me zero hassle.
  • Find my foil more comfortable than my Spesh Allez. This bike makes you want to ride fast, I don't really come off feeling sore due to lack of comfort. I've ridden a few centuries on mine also.
    Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • It's a beauty

227766_39344_tif_raw_3.jpg