Recommended Tubulars

2»

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Which corner did your teddy bear land in?
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Veloflex Carbons.

I have used them for over 1000 miles. I had one puncture in the front but luckily it did not deflate until about an hour after I got home. I did use sealant to fix it and the sealant worked. The inner tube doesn't appear to be gummed up and it holds air better now than the rear.

The rear has a little wear but no punctures and the most amazing thing is neither have any cuts.

I have used a total of 8 different tyres and compared to those other 7, these are a phenomenon. I have never had a tyre that did not pick up cuts.

BTW quality slanging match.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    earth wrote:
    Veloflex Carbons.

I have used them for over 1000 miles. I had one puncture in the front but luckily it did not deflate until about an hour after I got home. I did use sealant to fix it and the sealant worked. The inner tube doesn't appear to be gummed up and it holds air better now than the rear.

The rear has a little wear but no punctures and the most amazing thing is neither have any cuts.

I have used a total of 8 different tyres and compared to those other 7, these are a phenomenon. I have never had a tyre that did not pick up cuts.

BTW quality slanging match.

I've also heard good things about these, the only problem is that I've never seen them for less than about £70, whereas Vittorias can be had for about 30 if you keep your eyes peeled.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I've also heard good things about these, the only problem is that I've never seen them for less than about £70, whereas Vittorias can be had for about 30 if you keep your eyes peeled.

That is the downside. The other is that they might not have one of the lowest rolling resistances.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    earth wrote:

That is the downside. The other is that they might not have one of the lowest rolling resistances.

Its all about finding the right balance of protection, rolling resistance, wear and price.

if a certain tyre is reasonably good in all areas I am more likely to use them over something which sacrifices one for the other.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    cheapest for tyres is often the german websites, uk tub prices are crazy

veloflex carbons for c. 57 euro here...

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... -tire.html

i've bought from them a few times, always had good service
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bernithebiker
    sungod wrote:
    cheapest for tyres is often the german websites, uk tub prices are crazy

veloflex carbons for c. 57 euro here...

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/ ... -tire.html

i've bought from them a few times, always had good service

Thanks for the tip, may try a pair.

Currently using Mavics (Griplink/Powerlink) which seem pretty good. The nice thing is that they hold their air for weeks, whereas the Vittorias need pumping every day.
  • sungod
    yes, latex tubes lose pressure much faster, but they have lower crr and some say they ride better

as long as you've got a track pump it's not an issue, but with a hand pump it could get tedious!
  • bernithebiker
    sungod wrote:
    yes, latex tubes lose pressure much faster, but they have lower crr and some say they ride better

as long as you've got a track pump it's not an issue, but with a hand pump it could get tedious!

I was on Vittorias, now the Mavics.

Can't say I can feel any difference in comfort or crr, but I guess it's only a few % at the most, so hard to detect.

Have a good track pump, but it adds a few minutes to every ride, which timesed by 28 = almost an hour a month pumping tyres!
  • sungod
    look upon it as a useful upper body workout :)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    For TTs / crits on clean dry roads, FMB. Expensive but beautiful.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm a big fan of Schwalbe Ultremo HT's. Excellent grip and wear and even the puncture protection is decent.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • +1 Ultremo HTs but I just put a Schwalbe One on and that is even better.

Not too expensive if you go bike disount.de
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Being a newbie to potentially buying a set of tubular wheels i've noticed alot of tubs are 22mm in size, for general use do you use this size or do you pick 24mm or 25mm if possible?
    Cheers, Stu
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Wider will usually be more comfortable.
  • duckson
    Yes but in the clincher world 23mm is the common size but in tubs they are 22mm it seems... are the 22mm in the Conti Competitions a better ride than the clincher gp4000s in 23mm for example.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Currently using Mavics (Griplink/Powerlink) which seem pretty good. The nice thing is that they hold their air for weeks, whereas the Vittorias need pumping every day.

I'm using the Yksion Pro tubs (I think) and they have lungs! Can only assume they have a latex tube in them as they do need pumping up every week as I'm positive that there are no slow punctures in them.

Seem to be great tyres though, nice & grippy and reasonable quick too. First time using tubs though so don't really have a comparison.
  • duckson
    +1 Ultremo HTs but I just put a Schwalbe One on and that is even better.

Do the Schwalbe One's have a latex inner tube? I think the Ultremo HT have.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Grill
    duckson wrote:

Yes. Just got back from Mallorca where I did just shy of 900 wonderful miles on my HT's. Off too Spain in a couple days to try and kill them.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Lucky you. I stuck doing a stock take tomorrow oh what fun think of those who have to work Grill while you are having fun. Enjoy the riding though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • duckson
    Grill wrote:
    duckson wrote:

Yes. Just got back from Mallorca where I did just shy of 900 wonderful miles on my HT's. Off too Spain in a couple days to try and kill them.

Do you carry any sealant for puncture backup?
    Cheers, Stu
  • Grill
    I use Stan's but don't carry anything additional. I did ride with a spare tub when I rode the 312 but haven't needed it. In fact in the last two years in Mallorca there have only been 2 punctures (between around 50 of us).
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Grill wrote:
    I use Stan's but don't carry anything additional. I did ride with a spare tub when I rode the 312 but haven't needed it. In fact in the last two years in Mallorca there have only been 2 punctures (between around 50 of us).

Are you saying you don't carry a spare tubular with you on rides, just sealant?
    I'm just not that brave myself. Hate walking or having to phone home or putting that much trust in sealants.
  • Grill
    No, I'm saying that there's already sealant in the tubs so I don't carry anything at all (the 312 was a 210 mile ride so I made an exception). Bike shops all around the island and I can ride them flat with no real issues.
  • dennisn
    Grill wrote:
    No, I'm saying that there's already sealant in the tubs so I don't carry anything at all (the 312 was a 210 mile ride so I made an exception). Bike shops all around the island and I can ride them flat with no real issues.

Ahhh. I see. Still, you're a braver man than I am. I like my spare.
  • duckson
    What spare do you take? Tufo S3 Lite seem to fold up smallish.
    Cheers, Stu
  • dennisn
    duckson wrote:
    What spare do you take? Tufo S3 Lite seem to fold up smallish.

I've heard they do but the price(for a spare) puts me off. So I just carry a cheapie Continental or Vittoria or a repaired one. Not concerned with weight and as long as it fits in a rear pocket I'm good with that.

FWIW I use a variety of tubulars of no particular brand. I try to find good midrange stuff(Continental Sprinters for example) and not, what you might call, paper thin race tires. Just good fairly sturdy tires that are on sale.
    I also am a fan of Tufo tape. I'm into ease of use type stuff.