Scott Foil Headset preload & Spacers above stem

Bengdogg
Bengdogg Posts: 383
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a question regarding pre-load of the headset top cap on a Scott Foil, I know that on most bikes it is just gentle pre-load but I found my bike creaks when climbing if it is no loaded up a bit more. I read an article for a Specialized bike saying 6-8nm pre-load was advised & I have emailed Scott twice about this but have not had a reply either time.

Also regarding spacers above the stem on a carbon steerer. I am sure I read some where 5mm max was advised for the foil but tbh I wouldn't mind dropping a bit more to sort my riding position before I commit to cutting the steerer. I do work with a torque wrench but I understand if you go below the fork bung and tighten you could crush the steerer causing a failure when riding.

Anyone here riding a Foil or work for Scott and can help me out?

Thanks,

Martin
You just gotta peddle

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I was assembling my CR1 I came across the advice about a max of 5mm spacers above the stem somewhere on Scott's website. Makes sense because the supplied expander bung sits right at the top of the steerer, so it ensures you're only clamping the stem onto that part of the steerer that's supported internally by the bung.

If you wanted to experiment before cutting the steerer I suppose you could use a different bung that you can push further down the steerer?

No idea about the preload torque; I just tightened it till the play was eliminated then took it for a ride. That seemed to loosen or settle something and I had to nip it up again.

I did find I needed a bigger gap between the top of the steerer and the top spacer than I'm used to. I also whipped off the top cap and tightened up the expander bung a bit more once the stem was clamped around it
  • Bengdogg
    Thanks for the reply Keef,

I was just reading up a bit more and some suggestion on the net leans towards the expander bung being there to stop the very top of the steerer tube getting crushed with clamping rather than the tube itself. Spesh, scott, trek & cervelo all seem to have different views on this subject also.
    You just gotta peddle
  • Hi,
    I can remember having issues with my Foil headset constantly loosening. Only carbon paste, medium loctite and a different bung cured my creaking. Can also remember having to apply more pre load than usual, although made sure that the front still turned freely.
    Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • Bengdogg
    Hi Brad,

I stripped it down greased the bearings, carbon pasted everything and I have pre-loaded more than usual also. Loctite and a new bung might be next on the cards. I think it is one of those things that may settle down as I got the bike towards the end of last year and have not really rode it more than 200 miles as my winter bike has been getting all the attention. Within the next month though it should come out of hibernation.
    You just gotta peddle
  • I hoped it would settle down too...even a trip to the lbs and their expertise didn't solve it. Loctite and a new bung is your friend, I used a bung that is longer than the stock Scott version. Has been fit and forget (as it should be) since this intervention. Good luck!
    Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    +1 for using a different bung , I had some problems on a Scott last year and ended up changing for a Deda bung which works perfectly and was much longer covering the whole area even with a 10mm spacer above.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-expander-bung/
  • Bengdogg
    Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a Deda bung and will fit it asap
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg
    Ok next question!? How does the fitted expander come out? Two halves and the lower halve is not moving at all???

Thanks
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg
    Sussed it! Smack the middle bit that causes expansion out then remove the outer & rescue the inner bit
    You just gotta peddle
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    Did this fix work? My Foil creaks when I turn the handlebars. I thought it might be the cables moving but now I don't think it is. I've only done a few hundred miles on it so far
  • Bengdogg
    Hi,

yes this worked and my foil has been running brilliantly since the posts above. I fitted a Deda bung, I found you have to really torque it up to get the pre load then I backed it off. I did email Scott a few times and got no reply but spoke to them last year at the MTB marathon and they said it shouldn't need much pre-load. My headset bearings are still very smooth though. I did grease everything including having the bearings out and adding more grease as from the factory it was a little bit low IMO but I think the game changer was the Deda bung.
    You just gotta peddle
  • The Deda bung is way better than the crap one that ships with Scotts.

I find it's better to assemble all the headset, spacers, bars etc and compress it as much as possible by hand with some downward force first before even using the preload. That way, it shouldn't take an awful lot of preload to lock it all down...